Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leshik
    • Jan 2004

Importing 2.3.4 database into 3.0?

Hello, I have a bit of a conundrum on my hands here. I tried to upgrade my friend's vBulletin 2.3.4 installation to 3.0, but on step 12 of the upgrade process, the database stopped responding. The only way I could get 3.0 installed was to have the support guy of my friend's ISP wipe his alloted database clean, which means two months worth of posts went bye bye.

However, I did backup the database right before I started upgrading to 3.0. What I am wondering is is there a way to import the forum hierarchy, custom user titles, posts, and so forth from this 2.3.4 backup file into the newly installed 3.0 installation? The only thing I can think of would be to install 2.3.4 again, import the database, then upgrade to 3.0. I am hesitant to go this route for three reasons:

1. Is it even possible to import the entire database back into 2.3.4?
    2. If it's even possible to import the database back into 2.3.4, what if the upgrade process messes up again? And why did it mess up in the first place?
    3. I do not want to have to call my friend's host again because they are some of the most unhelpful people ever.

Thanks in advance,
    Leshik
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Currently there is no vB -> vB importer, so the only option is to upgrade.

Did you get any specific errors on step 12?

Comment

• Leshik
      • Jan 2004

I figured I would be told the only method is to upgrade, but I just wanted to be sure.

As for the exact error message, it was the usual "There seems to be a slight error with the database, try refreshing by clicking here, etc." message. I hope that makes sense. You always can quote said error message until I'm called forward to do so, heh.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

The exact error would have been in the source code of the page. We need that exact error to know what went wrong.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...