Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maggie
    • Jan 2004

A couple of things my members are commenting on

One, when one leaves and comes back, threads (even ones he has posted to) will show as unread, sometimes with his name as the last post. I think we've sorted that out as happening when he comes back within the 15 minute cookie timeout, but is there something going on that can be "fixed"?
    And the other, someone spent a lot of time typing in a post, only to hit submit and be returned to the login page? I haven't seen that one "in person", but as soon as he mentioned it, someone else said that he has that happen at least once a visit. The second when asked also said that he religiously clears out his cookies. Is it possible that he hit on the cookie timeout, while thinking out his post?
    We have the Gold version up, and I didn't have to change any templates after the upgrade from rc4.
    Anyone have any guesses what might be messing things up?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

1. Unfortunately this is the way vB works. These threads will not show as read until the user logsout or their session ends.

2. This will happen if the user blocks or removes cookies. The fix is to enable cookies.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by maggie
      One, when one leaves and comes back, threads (even ones he has posted to) will show as unread, sometimes with his name as the last post. I think we've sorted that out as happening when he comes back within the 15 minute cookie timeout, but is there something going on that can be "fixed"?
      There is no way to "fix" this currently. The thread marking system is scheduled to be revamped in an upcoming version but I am not sure when that will be as of yet.

And the other, someone spent a lot of time typing in a post, only to hit submit and be returned to the login page? I haven't seen that one "in person", but as soon as he mentioned it, someone else said that he has that happen at least once a visit. The second when asked also said that he religiously clears out his cookies. Is it possible that he hit on the cookie timeout, while thinking out his post?
      Most likely cookie timeout. If they erase cookies while logged in they will be effectively logged out. There is no way around this. Some browsers also tend to lose cookies on occasion.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• maggie
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for the answers...
        Are there particular browsers that have more "issues" with this than others?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by maggie
          Thanks for the answers...
          Are there particular browsers that have more "issues" with this than others?
          Older browsers will have more issues than newer browsers. vBulletin is most heavily tested in Internet Explorer and Gecko based browsers like Mozilla and Firefox. It is least tested on Macintosh browsers and I don't think it is tested on 4th generation browsers at all.

I do know that it does not work in Netscape 4.3.1 under OS/2 Warp 4.0 due to a previous support ticket.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• maggie
            • Jan 2004

Thanks, I'll pass that along...

Comment

• Christine
              • Aug 2001

I have started having problems with proxy browsers again (like AOL) where this is happening to my AOL users.

From recommedations here, I have passed along that if AOL users are having problems logging in, they should minimize AOL and launch Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/IE (or whatever browser they may have) and try to surf the site with that.

This problem seemed to clear up with vB 2.3, but started back up again for us when AOL upgraded folks to version 9.

It can get rather tiresome for my AOL peeps.

L'chaim

Comment

• mrderanged
                • Jul 2002
                • 4.1.x

[QUOTE=Steve Machol]1. Unfortunately this is the way vB works. These threads will not show as read until the user logsout or their session ends.
                QUOTE]

I've seen you say this before Steve and I've never understood it. My forums always mark threads read as soon as I've read them. The only time I've seen it not mark them read immediately is when I've been on my forums for a long period of time, then it stops marking any of them read...

Scott

Comment

• Michael Dengler
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by mrderanged
                  I've seen you say this before Steve and I've never understood it. My forums always mark threads read as soon as I've read them. The only time I've seen it not mark them read immediately is when I've been on my forums for a long period of time, then it stops marking any of them read...

Scott
                  Scott, When you login after a 15 min period since your last activity if any posts were added between that 15 min period and the time you logged in they will show as new posts ie the thread titles will be bold. After you read the new post the thread title will unbold and the light icon (New Posts) will change to a dark icon (No New Posts). Suppose you had 5 new posts in the list and took more than 15 mins reading one post or thread. When you come back to the New Post list the list will have cleared and you'll probably see a message like: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. In addition, in the Forum View and Thread View pages all the light icons will have been replaced by dark icons ie No New Posts.

Point is, individual new posts will automatically be marked as read as soon as you read them but if no activity (a new page loaded) has been registered for 15 mins the system will automatically mark all unread posts as read. If 15 mins is too short for you then increase it. But remember, the session time-out also effects how long your member's usernames appear in Who's Online after their last registered activity. You may be able to live with increasing the session time-out up to an hour which should help with the auto Mark All Forums Read problem.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...