X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phenomenon
    • Sep 2003

Template Category names all "Templates"

Greetings.

I just installed vBadvanced, there is a thread being started there as well.

I don't know when this started, whether it was after installing vbadvanced or not.

In the edit all templates mode, all the category name templates show up as "templates", rather than with their titles. Only by rolling over them with the mouse do they show up correctly.

I noticed this after switching to vb3-silver theme in the vbulletin options. However it may have been there before.

I will be reinstalling (sigh again) to see if it will fix itself.

Will "is exhausted" Lanni
    Attached Files
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Does vBAdvabnced involve editing any of the original vB files? If so, we cannot provide support here.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• phenomenon
      • Sep 2003

Ok, so I uninstalled vBadvanced, dumped my database, restored it from the pre-vbAdvanced backup, reuploaded vb3 files, re-configged/deleted install.php.

When I log in, all my template categories are still named, "Templates" like in the screenshot above.

I'm assuming, then, it's a problem in the database conversion. Basically I had a phpBB 2.0.6 database that was converted to a vb3 database by a JelSoft staff member. The helpful fellow who did that is going to look into it once he's done celebrating his bday, (cue bday music for Jerry here).
      but responded that he hadn't seen that problem before and doesn't think it will be a database problem. If anyone has any other guidance on a solution to this, I'd greatly appreciate it! -- I tried entering something new into the phrases to reset the cache, and ran all diagnostics/tools as well.

ok thanks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Does vBAdvanced require editing any vB files?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

He did say
          Ok, so I uninstalled vBadvanced, dumped my database, restored it from the pre-vbAdvanced backup, reuploaded vb3 files, re-configged/deleted install.php.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Hmmm..I don't see how that's possible. If the db backup did not contain these things then neither would the restored backup.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• phenomenon
              • Sep 2003

Yes it does. However, I uninstalled the changes to the database that vBadvanced required, then completely deleted the vb3 files from the server, then uploaded a new, fresh copy. I still had that problem.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder however if I didn't forget to clear my cache. Safari on OS X is buggy as far as the cache -- even after 'clearing' I sometimes see cached items.

Tell ya what, I'm going to do it again, from work, and check from a couple diff browsers. If it persists, I'll post back here. Heck, if it doesn't I'll post back as well, and we can just close this.

Comment

• phenomenon
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Hmmm..I don't see how that's possible. If the db backup did not contain these things then neither would the restored backup.
                Hate to be a moron, but I think it's hereditary. When you say, "these things", what do you mean? I'm guessing you mean that the template category names are not stored in the database, but are stored in the administrator_templates.php file? So that it wouldn't matter whether I have a brand new database or a restored one, the problem isn't there?

I'm uploading a fresh clean install to try out with the restored database right now. This may just be a PEBCAK error: Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard. We'll see.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

The template names come from the database. If you restored the original database that did not include this info, then I really don't see how this could be happening. I could be misunderstaning what you have done though.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• phenomenon
                    • Sep 2003

Ok. I've just totally deleted the upgraded/modded forum install.

I downloaded a new copy from the member's area.

I edited the config, and deleted install.php

I uploaded the new forum.

I did NOT mess with upgrade.php (should I?)

I went into admincp and the template names are all screwy.

My next step, now that there is a totally clean forum install, is to go dump the database, and try this with a totally new database install.

After that, I will dump that database, restore my backup, and try again. (which I've done)

Any other suggestions or troubleshooting anyone can think of?

I'm understanding you now Steve. My feeling is that my restore does not contain the information for the template names.
                    Last edited by phenomenon; Tue 23 Mar '04, 10:51am. Reason: just read Steve's post. We must have posted at same time.

Comment

• phenomenon
                      • Sep 2003

Ok, confirmed it's the database. SHAZBOT. Just dumped the restore, installed vbulletin fresh, and templates showed up fine. Dumped that, re-restored, and template names are missing.

*sigh* *whimper*

So the next question: is it possible to restore my database,
                      Then drop the template info that isn't working right,
                      Then edit the vb3 install so that it inserts the correct info?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

The names for those template categories come from the phrasing system. Before you start messing with databases check and see if the appropriate phrases are in the system.

They are:

group_buddy_list
                        group_calendar
                        group_faq
                        group_user_reputation
                        group_poll
                        group_private_message
                        group_registration
                        group_search
                        group_user_control_panel
                        group_user_note
                        group_whos_online
                        group_show_groups
                        group_post_icon
                        group_user_profile_field
                        group_bb_code_layout
                        group_help
                        group_editor
                        group_forum_display
                        group_forum_home
                        group_page_navigation
                        group_postbit
                        group_threadbit
                        group_instant_messaging
                        group_member_info
                        group_members_list
                        group_modify_user_option
                        group_new_posting
                        group_show_thread
                        group_smilie_popup
                        group_subscribed_thread
                        group_who_posted
                        group_thread_administration
                        group_php_include_code
                        group_navigation_breadcrumb
                        group_printable_thread
                        group_attachment_list
                        group_paid_subscriptions

You can find them by searching for the titles above in the Language system.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• phenomenon
                          • Sep 2003

Ah HA!

Ok, none of those exist -- did a search of group_ in phrase and variable name. Nothing like the above list exists. Would it be possible to install a fresh copy of vb3 into a new database, download the phrases that i know work from there, and upload them into my restored db?

Comment

• phenomenon
                            • Sep 2003

Ok, this may be a bug:

I am switching back and forth between two databases, one vb3 forum install. I have two config files -- one that refers to the restored database "forum", one that refers to a freshly installed database "tempforum". I essentially am renaming the config files. Because I'm not editing any templates or any vb files, this should work, and it seems to be. (I'm writing this in case it's very bad or could be contributing to problems)

Ok. That said, I switch to the fresh install of the database. I have all the group_ phrases. So I go to download English (US). It downloads fine.

Then I switch my config to refer to the restored database, and re-log in. I go to Languages - download/upload.

I enter "Upload the language file from your browser", browse to the file and find it fine.

then I select "Overwrite Language" -- English (US)

I leave the naming blank so it uses default from file. I've tried with both ignore version set to yes and no.

When I click to import, I get the following error:

Invalid or empty Language file specified

Is this because the language file was unmodified?

Comment

• phenomenon
                              • Sep 2003

How about this: drop table phrases from restored database

dump phrases table from fresh db into textfile

insert contents of text file into restored db

that should work no?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...