X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albasoul
    • Jul 2002

Custom Avatars not showing after upgrade to vb3

Hi all.

VbTeam, I want to congratulate you on a very good job you have done with the new version. My upgrade from 2.7 went smooth without any major problem, even though my site is pretty busy and loaded with images/text.

The only major problem I have after the upgrade is custom avatars being displayed as broken images after upgrade. I was running version vb 2.7 before with "avatars as files" hack that stored all custom avatars into a file directory instead of the database.

I loaded the old custom avatar files to the new "customavatars" directory in vb3 but they do not show up. I investigated the problem and I found out that the avatarpath is different in the new version (last digits).

Has anybody run into the same problem?
    What is the solution to the problem, other than asking my users to reupload their custom avatars?

I have contacted vb support for this problem but haven't heard from them yet.

Here are the links to the old and new forum:

# Old Forum

# New Forum
    Forumi Shqiptar eshte kuvendi me i madh shqiptar ne Internet. Na vizitoni ne adresen http://www.ForumiShqiptar.com

Albo
  • conqsoft
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.6.x

I think I read that you need to pull all the avatars back into the database before upgrading, then you can move them back to a directory after the upgrade. (Because the avatars-as-files-hack for vb2 isn't supported.)
    vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

I responded to your support ticket exactly 3 minutes after we received it. Here's the response:

Sorry but the upgrade script does not support the avatars as files hack. You would first need to remove that hack from your vB2 forums and database and resotre the avatars to the customavatar table. Then run the database confilcts script here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=73163

If no conflicts show, then you can upgrade.

Also there is no vB version 2.7. Which version are you upgrading from? You need to have at least version 2.2.9 to upgrade to vB3.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Albasoul
        • Jul 2002

Thanks Steve.

I have not recieved any email from you in response to my support request. It was the first time i sent a support request, I don't know if support is provided by email or some other way. My mail server might have been down at the time.

To answer your questions:

I have upgraded from 2.2.7 (2.7 in my mind).
        I did run the db conflict detection script before doing the upgrade, it only complained about the faq table, not avatar one.
        I did upload all my attachments to db from file system, but not my custom avatars.

Upgrade was smooth, this is the only problem I am having actually. All I need is a script to read the avatarpath from the old avatar table (old db) to the new v3 db. The reason why I think so is that the link to the avatar directory is still fine, the title of the images is wrong only. That is what I need to update.

If you could help me with that, it would be great.

Albo

Old site is online at: http://www.forumishqiptar.com/vjeter/
        New site is here at: http://www.forumishqiptar.com/

I have requested my users to reupload their custom avatars, but when you have 12000 members, that is easier said than done. Post show up with broken avatar images.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

As I noted before the upgrade requires a minimum of version 2.2.9 - not 2.2.7. Also the upgrade script can do nothing about 'avatars as files' since this is from a hack.

I will PM you the link to the support ticket.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Albasoul
            • Jul 2002

Problem fixed!

I fixed the problem myself, it was easier than I thought. All I needed to do is update user table (avatarrevision field only) in the new version with the value from the old version. I have separate databases fro each version, old and new.

So all you people thinking of upgrading and running "custom avatas as files" hack, move the images over to the new directory "customavatars" from the old directory, and write a simple script te read a field from the user table from the old database, and update the same field for all users in the new database.

You don't need to reload the attachments back in your database, at least I didn't.

Albo

Comment