Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novadream
    • Oct 2002

20 users kicked Offline in 1 second

i was just browsing my forums when my index had some sort of error that kicked all of my users who were online (20) down to Zero users online...It just zapped them all offline hehehe

how do i fix that error from happening again?

it has happened before in the past as well a buncha times....
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

What is your cookie timeout set to? The default is 900 seconds.

When a user browses your site using a cookie to stay logged in, their session is stored for 15 minutes. If you have a peak hour and then everybody leaves, then it is quite possible it is dropped back to 0 again for the session table is cleared.

Comment

• dstruct2k
      • Feb 2003

It is also possible that your webhost had a problem with their server that was hosting your site, and it was rebooted. The whole reboot process would've been fast (on a decent host) and when the server came back online, the session table would be cleared. This would drop the "Online Users" down to zero easily.

Having 20 users timeout at once is extremely unlikely on all but the largest of boards unless they were Googlebots or similar, in which case they would've shown up as guests.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

I had a short thought about this.

It could also mean that your hosting provider has changed their time, and if this is bigger then the set cookie timeout for session, it is already further away in the future and that means 0 users are online.

You could keep an eye on the server time when these things happen.

Comment

• Novadream
          • Oct 2002

it just happened again right now but im not sure what is causing it to happen

Comment

• Livingston Dell
            • Dec 2003
            • 3.0.0 Gamma

What version of vBulletin are you currently using? There was a bug in versions (as far as I know) v2.2.6 and below, related to guest sessions which was fixed in v2.2.7:

"Member.php; fixed issue where a guest logging out would remove all other guest sessions"
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53593
            Last edited by Livingston; Sun 22 Feb '04, 7:02am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...