Why should I buy a license for this forum?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mafukie
    • Apr 2000

If I were you, I would just move to Host Rocket, Liquid Web, or Site5 all good hosts.

then download the VB light, install it, and then if its easy enough for you to use buy a lisence that you think is best for you.

Also if you need help installing VB I will be happy to get you started.

Comment

• dante1
      • Feb 2001

Im going to switch to Host Rocket and enjoy the more extensive support options and webmaster features all for the bargain rate of $9.95

I can cancel my account on my host but how do I retain my web pages and domain name. My host registered my domain name and my web pages are on their server. There is no other data because the site has yet to be released to the public.

To all that have made suggestions
      My most sincere appreciation is extended to you. I've been enlightened and will pass the spirit along to other newbies where ever I surf.

Comment

• damicatz
        Banned
        • Dec 2000

Okay there are primarly two types of message boards. Flat style and thread style.

Flat style is my favorite type. It was invented by UBB. It's the style where posts are below one another. This is a flat style board. You see the poster and information on the poster on the left of the post and the message on the right. Each post is on the same page and then if there are lots of posts it has more than one page.

Thread style Bulletin Boards are the ones where you view only one post at a time. You click on a post and it shows the message and then there are links for the replies and you click on the link of one of the replies to view that reply.

Infopop, UBB's creator hasn't really put more features into UBB. That's why there are so many hacks for UBB. UBB does not have really good standard features. They still lack avatar support, and support for ranks. They have Junior Member and Member rank names as well as Moderator and Administrator. That doesn't really count as a good ranking system. UBB also lacked Private Messanging Support until the recently released Version 6.0

UBB doesn't have attachments or a user control panel. UBB also doesn't have forums within forums and style sets in addition to templates. They have something called wordlets that was added to 6.0 that sounds something like templates but it doesn't sound as good.

Comment

• version2
          • Feb 2001

Originally posted by dante1
          Im going to switch to Host Rocket and enjoy the more extensive support options and webmaster features all for the bargain rate of $9.95
          Smart move. I am a hr customer. I will never use anyone else.

I can cancel my account on my host but how do I retain my web pages and domain name. My host registered my domain name and my web pages are on their server. There is no other data because the site has yet to be released to the public.
          Ok..just contact your host and find out which registrar they used to register your domain. Then you can go to the registrar directly to transfer. There is more about this on hr's site.

Saving your web pages? Just download them to your computer. Then upload them to your new account, which will be active right after you sign up by the way.
          version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks Online Pagan Community Forums
          Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• dante1
            • Feb 2001

Cool

Last time I checked HR said they were making some hardware adjustments and need a few days before accepting new accounts so as soon as their back up I'll be transferring and and downloading vb lite.

Comment

• version2
              • Feb 2001

Cool

Last time I checked HR said they were making some hardware adjustments and need a few days before accepting new accounts so as soon as their back up I'll be transferring and and downloading vb lite.
              They should be back up and ready...and as far as vblite goes..have you ever used it? It is featureless! If you are interested in vbulletin then just go ahead and buy it. it will run on HR servers...dont worry...a lot of us HR customers use vbulletin.
              version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• dante1
                • Feb 2001

Question
                Are databases for vB a consideration that is irrelevant to UBB. People keep talking about databases and how much space they take. So databases are cental to vB function. This question is central to my decision, because operating at economy cost on HR servers is my goal. What type of membership and postage in my forums will 200meg and 10 gb support?

Comment

• Parker Trasborg
                  • Dec 2000

That should be enough space for a pretty good size board. (I think) Most of the others know better than me.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

I get from 100-200 posts per day and I only do 6 gigs a month of transfer. That will be even less now with the compression support of v2.0.

Comment

• Mafukie
                      • Apr 2000

hmm

Comment

• version2
                        • Feb 2001

Same here...about 300 posts a day..

I usually have about 5 to 15 ppl on at a time and I do about 4 gig....if that...and thats going to go down because of gzip...in fact, it already has.

Anyway, the economy package at HR will be fine for a pretty good sized board...dont sweat that. And the space is fine. I have a fairly new board with 250 users and a little under 3000 posts. I am using like...8 meg...so dont sweat it. Definitely room to grow.
                        version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• dante1
                          • Feb 2001

Thanks.

Comment

• dante1
                            • Feb 2001

I hope this reply brings this post back to the top of the treads anyway I contacted my host and they say that network solutions is the registrar. I assume that the domain name can be pointed at the files on HR and all I have to do is signup for the service and the rest is a breeze. Especially since the signup form is working now. Somebody alluded to a list of directions on HR's site that would tell how this should go. Could somebody show me that.

Comment

• version2
                              • Feb 2001

I hope this reply brings this post back to the top of the treads anyway I contacted my host and they say that network solutions is the registrar. I assume that the domain name can be pointed at the files on HR and all I have to do is signup for the service and the rest is a breeze. Especially since the signup form is working now. Somebody alluded to a list of directions on HR's site that would tell how this should go. Could somebody show me that.
                              If NS is your registrar then just go to their site and get the phone number. Call them and tell them you want to change your DNS servers. You might even be able to do it online. Your old host needs to give you your username and password though.
                              version2 aka mol

Mystic Wicks After Dark

Comment

• atrl
                                • Mar 2001

Hey HostRocket is a great hosting Company, I have it and I use Vbulletin, I mean there server is great for Vbulletin plus you cant beat there stuff. They give you a lot for the little money they charge. Even there new dedicated servers are great priced. For a 900 MHZ 40 GB Hard Drive Server its only like $275 a month. This host is Gold and I never plan to leave them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...