X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kontrabass
    • Jul 2000
    • 3.6.x

File upload sizes

I run a music forum, and was thinking about using the new "Attach File" feature of 2.0 to allow users to attach .mp3's to their posts... Is this feasible, or is php or mysql likely to time out during the lengthened file transfer?
  • werehere
    • Apr 2000

That is specified in your PHP.ini file!
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

post attachments are uploaded to the MySQL DB right?

Comment

• Sharg
        • Jun 2000

yes

Comment

• poil11
          • Aug 2000

=( is right

Comment

• JimF
            • May 2000

What's wrong with storing it in MySQL?

Do you realize what an installation support nightmare it would be to have to deal with CHMODing directories and all that? Do you remember the feeling you got in your stomach when UBB support told you that you had to CHMOD a directory to 777? And you had no idea what CHMODing was?? I'd rather not go there...

-jim

Comment

• Sharg
              • Jun 2000

Jim... I download my database very often. I hate it seing getting bigger and bigger because users put tons of files in it.

+ i like to htaccess the directory where I store the images users upload so no one can use it on their site.

I really prefer to chmod directories (cmon this takes like 30 seconds).

Result I simply will disable the feature :/

Comment

• SAWolf76
                • May 2000

Attachments are stored in the db???? Ok now I'm worried I heard some bad stuff about speed and problems with that.... I would like an option if possible to store the files in a directory and store their links in the db...... Other wise I just might turn it off
                <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                *--------* (IN THE NAME Of ALLAH THE MOST MERCIFUL) *------*
                ============================================================
                =================== Turki M. Al-Ballaa =================
                ============================================================
                I am a Saudi, I am an Arab, I am a Muslim, I am a Human!!
                @@ All Humans are one, the only difference is in faith.@@
                So peace and prosperity to all, may we all live in harmony.
                Salam! Peace!

www.arabianoasis.net
                <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Comment

• werehere
                  • Apr 2000

Originally posted by SAWolf76
                  Attachments are stored in the db???? Ok now I'm worried I heard some bad stuff about speed and problems with that.... I would like an option if possible to store the files in a directory and store their links in the db...... Other wise I just might turn it off
                  Well your in luck! There is an option to turn it off if you do not like storing it in the database.
                  We're Here Forums!
                  [email protected]

Comment

• chrispadfield
                    • Aug 2000

the database has no problems in being huge in size initself, remember a database is just a way of storing files on a server, they are still files (or part of a big file) somewhere.

The thing i don't like about this file in database things are:

i) backing up becomes a nightmare. I want to have my database emailed me weekly if not daily, if it gets to be 1GB then this is clearly not an option, even taking it off server is going to start costing $5 per day. A GB is also not really that unreasonable with the amount of images and files that could get uploaded.

ii) maintenance. Want to delete them? well not so easy really, so much easier to see what is there, file size etc in ftp folder.

iii) moving them? what if you want to move them elsewhere?

iv) and extra mysql call everytime they are loaded (i imagine this must be the case? but perhaps it would not make a difference i don't know?).

v) This is the BIGGEST. Bandiwdth theft. I have to pay
                    $5/GB for bandwidth after my allocation so i am concerned about this. If the images/files where in a set directory bandwidth theft can be prevented by .htaccess and http.conf. This is, as far as i know, unbreakable. The protection you can put on scripts using the referre tag is both unreliable and no way full proof. This is so so annoying, when people start finding their sites is used as smiles, avatars and general uploaded files repoisitries they are going to complain.

vi) max database sites. Those with database sizes limited by their virtual host to say, 2MB are in trouble.

===

Advantages:

i) security issues. You could argue that files being uploaded is a security problem. Really? So long the script does not chmod them wrong i don't really see how but i do not know that much about this.

ii) no need to chmod 1 directory to 777. Not exactly that hard a performance. The comparison between that an UBB where you have to chmod massive of files and directories etc is not really fair. Plus, if you know how to use mySQL to get the script installed my guess is you know how to CHMOD a directory. Not exactly the steapest of learning curves

Have to say, i will also have to disable this feature, the bandwidth being the main problem. Luckily i am going to use my links SQL program to allow people to upload files seaminglessly and then call then using VB code have the program add them to the post. Should solve problems and give me good file management capabilities.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Sharg
                      • Jun 2000

We are in the same boat chrispadfield.
                      The fact is that i'm almost SURE jelsoft will change this in a near future because lots of users will complain about it.

They will have to make a script to move the files out of the database for those that would have used the feature....

As I told earlier, it would be much easier for Jelsoft just to release 2.0 with a non database file storing system than make it later under pressure of users. (or of course, make it an option so we can choose which way we want).

What I really like with VB is how easy its to backup, move, download , store and archive the database.
                      This gets ruined with the files in it and database getting mega big.
                      Last edited by Sharg; Fri 9 Feb '01, 1:58pm.

Comment

• etones
                        • Sep 2000

A note to the developers...

how easy would it be for a decent programmer to make a hack so that files are stored in a folder and not in the database?
                        http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                          • Sep 2000

I was looking forward to the attachments option, but there's no way I'm storing files within a mySQL database. Let Apache serve the files, that's what it's designed to do.

I'll be turning it off if I defect to VB2.

Comment

• chrispadfield
                            • Aug 2000

yup and remember it is not just attachments but avatars too although i symphaize with avatars being in the database a "bit" more but not that much more
                            Christopher Padfield
                            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

• chrispadfield
                              • Aug 2000

i think jelsoft will find out though, vb-world is probably going to have lots of attachments with coders there so lots of nice zip files, as their database ballons the hope is they will "see the light"
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...