Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glock21
    • Apr 2002

Confirmations email not being sent

Around 50% of confirmation emails being sent out are not being sent at all. The others are working normally. I've tested it by using emails on the same network as our server, and it does indeed not work. When using my site contact email, it does. Fresh install of vBulletin. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Last edited by Glock21; Fri 20 Jun '03, 10:38pm.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Since some emails are working then this is either a server or mailbox issue. You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Glock21
      • Apr 2002

I'm testing it with my personal pop3 accounts which I know work perfectly. What should I tell the server management company to look for, they apparently do not know.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Give them the email addresses of someone claiming not to get the emails and ask them to search the mail logs for this address.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Glock21
          • Apr 2002

Well, the management company is still saying it's how vBulletin is "so horribly configured wrong" My god, I could smack them with a two by four. What else could this really be, what options are there to change for mail settings, etc.?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Honestly, it sounds like a copout to me. I run my own server and have no problems with vB mail (as do virtually all competent web hosts.) What kind of a host won't take a couple of minutes to look at the mail logs for a customer?

Without knowing specifically why the mails are being rejected there's not much I can suggest. You can try Kier's suggestion here:

But I really doubt this is the problem. Nonetheless it won't hurt to try.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Glock21
              • Apr 2002

One that get's paid 100 a month to do nothing. I'm running 2.3.0 as is so that's already in there unfortunately. Now they're saying the dns is configured wroong, just like another dns problem yesterday, and how vBulletin is coded so badly today, and how cpanel and vBulletin don't work together...what next.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Glock21
                I'm running 2.3.0 as is so that's already in there unfortunately.
                Kier's recommended change is not in 2.3.0 automatically. You need to make this change manually.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Glock21
                  • Apr 2002

I looked and it seemed like it was already in there. They changed the dns junk though and now it "magically" works, imagine that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...