X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sabrina
    • Aug 2002

high server load

Hi, im having some problems with my server load. here is some info:

Server Version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.3.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
    Server Built: Jun 13 2003 19:21:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Time: Friday, 13-Jun-2003 20:14:07 EDT
    Restart Time: Friday, 13-Jun-2003 19:32:36 EDT
    Parent Server Generation: 0
    Server uptime: 41 minutes 31 seconds
    Total accesses: 13635 - Total Traffic: 322.1 MB
    CPU Usage: u88.19 s136.18 cu6.1 cs10.24 - 9.66% CPU load
    5.47 requests/sec - 132.4 kB/second - 24.2 kB/request
    260 requests currently being processed, 0 idle servers

also, here is a link to my 'top' file from earlier today:

Is there any way for me to reduce server load? because this is causing my server to be extremely slow, to the point were pages time out. Is there any hacks that can cache things? or something? I was reading this on another thread that this guy was having this problem and he got a hack that reduced his server load?

Thanks

p.s. Current Server Load 25.29 (1 cpu)

my apache just failed again and was automatically restarted, as well as maxfilescheck failed and maclientscheck has failed.

I need some urgent help please
    Last edited by Sabrina; Fri 13 Jun '03, 4:26pm.
  • ChanServ
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sabrina

Server Version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.3.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any way for me to reduce server load? because this is causing my server to be extremely slow, to the point were pages time out. Is there any hacks that can cache things? or something? I was reading this on another thread that this guy was having this problem and he got a hack that reduced his server load?

Thanks

my apache just failed again and was automatically restarted, as well as maxfilescheck failed and maclientscheck has failed.

This looks like a DoS attack to me o.o

Comment

• Sabrina
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by ChanServ
      This looks like a DoS attack to me o.o
      \

you serious? how can i tell for sure it is a Dos attack? because my tech has been looking at this and did not mention any dos attack.

help!

Comment

• ChanServ
        • Jul 2002

\

you serious? how can i tell for sure it is a Dos attack? because my tech has been looking at this and did not mention any dos attack.

help!

makes me think a DoS attack.

Comment

• Sabrina
          • Aug 2002

makes me think a DoS attack.
          Do you know how to stop this?

Thanks

Comment

• ChanServ
            • Jul 2002

Do you know how to stop this?

Thanks
            well hopefully I'm wrong about it being a DoS.

But if it is, contact your host, and tell them to block the source ip from the router.

Comment

• Sabrina
              • Aug 2002

well hopefully I'm wrong about it being a DoS.

But if it is, contact your host, and tell them to block the source ip from the router.

This is what my tech said:

""If it was a dos attack, it would have affected httpd more and not mysqld.

Was the size of the database same before, I mean was it comparable or is there a big difference in size. Also, you can try limiting maximum mysql connections at a time for mysql (in my.cnf)
              ""

Im going to open a support ticket to do that limiting maximum mysql connections thing because i dont know how to do it, unless someone can tell me what to type at root?

Thanks

Comment

• Sabrina
                • Aug 2002

This is what my tech said:

""If it was a dos attack, it would have affected httpd more and not mysqld.

Was the size of the database same before, I mean was it comparable or is there a big difference in size. Also, you can try limiting maximum mysql connections at a time for mysql (in my.cnf)
                ""

Im going to open a support ticket to do that limiting maximum mysql connections thing because i dont know how to do it, unless someone can tell me what to type at root?

Thanks
                My forum is completly down right now, "
                Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /home/puregraf/public_html/forum/upload/admin/db_mysql.php3 on line 40
                "

Maybe there is an error somewere on it thats causing this problem?

Any techs here?

Comment

• ChanServ
                  • Jul 2002

My forum is completly down right now, "
                  Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /home/puregraf/public_html/forum/upload/admin/db_mysql.php3 on line 40
                  "

Maybe there is an error somewere on it thats causing this problem?

Any techs here?
                  I am a tech... I've been a network admin for 12 years.

But technically, if the DoS was pointed at port 80/81 it would affect the http dameon more I beleive.

but he's seen the logs, so i can't argue with him. can you post the process list?

Comment

• Sabrina
                    • Aug 2002

I am a tech... I've been a network admin for 12 years.

But technically, if the DoS was pointed at port 80/81 it would affect the http dameon more I beleive.

but he's seen the logs, so i can't argue with him. can you post the process list?

Where can i get the process list?

thank you

Comment

• George L
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • May 2000
                      • 3.8.x

read http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/o/Too_many_connections.html

if you have your own dedicated servers you can increase the max_connections limit via settings you place or alter in a /etc/my.cnf file on your server. If you don't have a dedicated server but shared virtual hosting, you need to contact your web host and ask them to increase their max_connection limit if at all possible.
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

Thanks

from that txt file looks like you're suffering from mysql table locking someone's accessing a whole bunch of attachments in threads

how many concurrent forum users do you have on right at that time ? anyone hotlinking attachments ? do you allow guests to view attachments in threads
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Sabrina
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by eva2000
                          read http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/o/Too_many_connections.html

if you have your own dedicated servers you can increase the max_connections limit via settings you place or alter in a /etc/my.cnf file on your server. If you don't have a dedicated server but shared virtual hosting, you need to contact your web host and ask them to increase their max_connection limit if at all possible.

yes i have a dedicated server, but i dont know how to do that. can you please do it for me? i already gave my info to you guys via support ticket. can you do it?.

thanks

Comment

• Sabrina
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by eva2000
                            from that txt file looks like you're suffering from mysql table locking someone's accessing a whole bunch of attachments in threads

how many concurrent forum users do you have on right at that time ? anyone hotlinking attachments ? do you allow guests to view attachments in threads

not many at all under 60 both guests and users, and no the users cant even access the threads without registering or logging in, so just the users can, there was only about 30 users or so so thats why i have no idea why the server load is so high

can you check this out for me?

here is the link to the forum by the way: http://www.puregraffiti.com/forum/upload/index.php3

Comment

• George L
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • May 2000
                              • 3.8.x

can you please provide more info including the following

1. is this on dedicated or shared virual server
                              2. your server specs. For example:

cpu speed/type single or dual cpus): dual p3 1ghz
                              how much memory installed: 512mb ram
                              hard drive type/configuration: 60GB EIDE non raid
                              linux distributor or windows version: redhat linux 7.3
                              apache/IIS version: apache 1.3.27
                              PHP version: php 4.3.1
                              MySQL version: mysql 3.23.56

3. if you use mysql 4.x instead of mysql 3.23.x, do you have any innodb type databases/tables on your server ?
                              4. if possible how mysql was compiled/installed
                              5. your top stats
                              6. your mysql configuration variables located at /etc/my.cnf or c:\my.cnf if on Windows server if you don't have that file you need to log into telnet and as root user type

mysqladmin -u root -p variables

copy and paste output here

7. your mysql extended-status output either still telnet as root user type

mysqladmin -u root -p extended-status

copy and paste output here

or preferred is to installed extended-status output script which is either located

- in your vB 2.2.6 or higher vB version's zip file extra's folder, upload mysqlinfo.php script to your site or if you're on an pre vB 2.2.6 install go to
                              - http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3477 and install that scrip making sure to edit $mysqllogin line with your own mysqlusername and password

and post url to that here

note:
                              - if you're using vB 3 beta3 or higher, you can log into admin panel, go to 'Import & Maintenance' -> 'Diagnostics' and select from last table drop down box, MySQL Variables (same as step 6) and MySQL Status (same as step 7) etc
                              - but preferred for extended-status output in step 7 that you post url to /admin/mysqlinfo.php

8. oh and is your vB the only thing on the server? or other scripts? sites?

9. how many average and max concurrent users on your vB forum ?

10. create a file named phpinfo.php and place this code in it and post the url/link to it from your web site

<?
                              phpinfo();
                              ?>

i.e. yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php

11. if you run Apache and you have your own dedicated server or access to your httpd.conf (apache configuration file) can you post the values you have set for the following :

KeepAlive
                              MaxKeepAliveRequests
                              KeepAliveTimeout
                              MinSpareServers
                              MaxSpareServers
                              StartServers
                              MaxClients

12. what version of vB are you running ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...