Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SloppyGoat
    • Feb 2002

User Profile Field Problem

I just upgraded from 2.2.6 to 2.3.0 and everything went nice and smooth, but I have one problem. Before the upgrade, I had added a new profile field called "Location" (and made it required) to keep bots from registering on my forum. Now, when a user tries to change his/her profile, it says "You have not completed the required field "Location". But there is no location field! I've tried removing this field from the custom field in my CP(where it was still listed) and it seems to be ok, but if I re-add it, it does the same thing again, and doesn't show up in the profile. Can anyone tell me why this is?
    The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Try reverting your User Options templates back to original.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
      • Feb 2002

Nope, same thing. They're reverted back to original. The strange thing is, I also had added "MSN Messenger Handle" to the custom field, and that one was there. The strange thing is I can add that one, or any other field I choose, back in and/or remove it fine. But Location just will not show.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

Revert your modify_profile template or make sure it contains the line customfields_required.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
          • Feb 2002

Ah ha! That got it! Thanks so much.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
            • Feb 2002

Ok, actually, some people are claiming that it's not fixed. They're saying that they can see the field now, but it's empty, and no matter how many times they enter their location, it still doesn't save it. Although, it does seem to show in their profile. What can I do about this? Can I clear this in the database? How would I do that? I've been poking around, and I found out it's field 16 in the table. Please tell me what I can do to fix this, or at least clear it and make it work again.

[edit]
            Ok, here's what it does after deleting the field and re-adding it. It seems to save the entry in the CP and in the profile, but doesn't show up on any posts under the users' names.
            Last edited by SloppyGoat; Fri 11 Apr '03, 1:20pm.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
              • Feb 2002

I actually removed the field completely, and it still shows "Location:" under the usernames in the posts, but there's nothing listed next to it. Which template would that be in?

[edit] I found it in postbit. I viewed the original and it has the field also, but the field number ref appears to be wrong.
              Last edited by SloppyGoat; Fri 11 Apr '03, 1:32pm.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                • Feb 2002

Ok, I figured out how to make this work, but I'm very confused. Please explain this to me. I changed the postbit field number to the correct one, and it now works. What I'm trying to figure out is, what determines which custom fields show in the postbit? Something obviously added that field to the postbit when I created the custom Location field. When I deleted the ref in the postbit, then created a new custom Location field, that field was not in the postbit, which explains why it wasn't updating the field number in the first place. So now, if I was to delete that field in my CP, it would still leave the reference line in the postbit. That's not the way this should work, correct? What's wrong with it?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • May 2000
                  • 1.1.x

That is the way it works. It points to the original Location value that came with your forum. Since you deleted it and re-added it, that value was incremented and you fixed it appropiately by modifying the postbit template to point to its new value.

Comment

• SloppyGoat
                    • Feb 2002

So I did it right?! WOOOHOOOO!!! I'm getting better at this stuff. I could've swore that I added that field, though. You're telling me it was already there? Ok, that makes much more sense now. Is that the only place I need to update the field #? Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...