Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • serrasalmus
    • Feb 2003

Avatar Errors, and conversion errors

Hi, I purchased vbulletin yesterday to convert from the now defunct ikonboard. I successfully converted all 3600 members and posts, however, in some of the threads, the software says that someone else started the thread instead of the person who actually did.

Also, I get this whenever anyone tries to change their avatar:
    The uploaded file is not a valid GIF or JPG file. Please ensure that it is and try again.

This happens when someone is trying to use a gif or jpg file. Is there some sort of modification somewhere where I can enable the board to just link the avatars, so it doesn't kill my bandwidth even once the issue is resolved?

Josh
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is no way to use offsite avatars without hacking. There may bo something like this available at vbulletin.org. You can check there.

As for the upload problem, upload the phpinfo.php file from the 'extras' directory of the zip file to your forums directory. Then post the URL here. This will help us troubleshoot the problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• serrasalmus
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      There is no way to use offsite avatars without hacking. There may bo something like this available at vbulletin.org. You can check there.

As for the upload problem, upload the phpinfo.php file from the 'extras' directory of the zip file to your forums directory. Then post the URL here. This will help us troubleshoot the problem.

Thank you for all of your help.
      Josh

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

You have open_basedir restrictions on your server. To get uploads to work you need to create a 'tmp' subdirectory under your www directory and chmod it to 777. Then in the Admin CP set "Upload
        In Safe Mode?" to 'Yes' and point the "Safe Mode Temp Directory" to that directory. If you placed the tmp directory in the right place, the path to the Safe Mode Temp Directory will be:

/home/serrasalmus/www/tmp

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• serrasalmus
          • Feb 2003

You hit it right on the head. The $85 I paid to you guys was worth every cent. I've never recieved technical support so quickly. You can count on me upgrading to the owned license. I guess there's a reason that all of the larger boards seem to be running vbulletin.
          Josh

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Glad to help!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...