Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ratatoo
    • Oct 2002

Getting SMTP to work on a WINDOWS APACHE server

I have an xp box im running apache on, and im having no luck finding any dosumentation or threads with tips on how to get the mail features to work. Must I install IIs and SMTP to get mail working? Any tips, suggestion, or pointing in the right direction is highly HIGHLY appreciated
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Yes, you need to install a mail server on your server and you need to configure PHP to use this server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• seanf
      • Jul 2002

No, you don't have to install a mail server (assuming this is a dev server). Just use your ISPs or your website's mail server. You need to edit these lines in your php.ini and restart Apache:

[mail function]
      ; For Win32 only.
      SMTP = mail.yourdomain.com

; For Win32 only.
      sendmail_from = [email protected]

Sean
      SitePoint Advisor (seanf)
      http://sitepointforums.com
      Harry Potter

Comment

• Ratatoo
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by seanf
        No, you don't have to install a mail server (assuming this is a dev server). Just use your ISPs or your website's mail server. You need to edit these lines in your php.ini and restart Apache:

[mail function]
        ; For Win32 only.
        SMTP = mail.yourdomain.com

; For Win32 only.
        sendmail_from = [email protected]

Sean
        thanks guys! anyone have a free smtp server they'd reccomend for me?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Note, the only way this will work is if that mailserver allows unauthenticated mail requests from your server.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nuno
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.8.x

Do as Steve said, install IIS with Frontpage Server Extensions, SMTP Server, STOP Default Web Site, and leave SMTP running.
            Next go read THIS thread.
            That's all folks.
            You're my Prince of Peace
            And I will live my life for You

Comment

• sinjix_media
              • Apr 2006
              • 3.5.x

I got the server to work. Outlook has no problems connecting and logging into it's incoming and outgoing. When I first got it setup there was no problem sending and receiving mail, but for some reason NOW I am not getting the test e-mails that I send out or in.Outlook doesn't give any error messages though. The last e-mails that I sent, I could only REPLY to an e-mail that I already got before, but I couldn't send NEW (again, outlook has no problems with it)
              I have a dynamic DNS server from my ISP.

Note: I have no problems sending and receiving e-mails from [email protected] to [email protected]
              3D Resources - A list of resources for 3D Developers
              After Effects Resources - A list of resources for design in motion with Adobe After Effects

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...