Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rookie2
    • Dec 2002

Help I am losing threads and posts at an alarming rate

I had my web host install my bulletin board, there have been times when I have lost as many as 30 threads in one wack, and the last couple days I have no clue how many have just disappeared from my bulletin board, it is also taking away post counts from alot of the members..

What could be causing this??

Is it a server problem or something to do with how it was installed??

Folks are gettin mad at me lol

I dont understand this stuff, it's like it decides ok we dont need this one and this one and this one totally does it at random as far as I can tell.

I have only had this bulletin board a little over a month and really need a book on this and how to learn how to do repairs and such but in the mean time I really could use some advise here..

Thanks folks!

it's version 2.2.9
  • A:\
    • Dec 2002

Hmm, nothing should be causing this. It's doubtful whether the installer guy would have set pruning on. I don't even think that deletes the threads.

Question: Does your host have access to the ACP?

Comment

• Rookie2
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by A:\
      Hmm, nothing should be causing this. It's doubtful whether the installer guy would have set pruning on. I don't even think that deletes the threads.

Question: Does your host have access to the ACP?
      Not that I am aware , but definately possible since they installed it, where do I need to look about this pruning feature ?

Comment

• A:\
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Rookie2
        Not that I am aware , but definately possible since they installed it, where do I need to look about this pruning feature ?
        The installers user ID will be 1.
        If you're not that now, then I'd go about making the user group for ID 1 to Registered.

Okay, I've just checked on the Pruning option and there isn't a way that will do this automatically. It has to be done manually.

Comment

• Rookie2
          • Dec 2002

I am # 1 so that does away with that theory and there are no other admins.

I have not deleted anything at all.

any ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

To tell you the truth I can't see of any mechanism that would cause posts to just disappear. What's the URL to your forums? Have you installed any hacks? Do you have any Mods other than yourself?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rookie2
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              To tell you the truth I can't see of any mechanism that would cause posts to just disappear. What's the URL to your forums? Have you installed any hacks? Do you have any Mods other than yourself?
              www.arkansasducktalk.com

I did try to install one hack about listing threads on the forum home page , but it didnt work and I restored everything back to original, it has done this before and since that hack.

I do have a few super moderators, but they dont have access to the control panel??

Comment

• Cary
                • Apr 2002
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Rookie2
                I do have a few super moderators, but they dont have access to the control panel??
                Even if they don't have access to the control panel they can delete posts. (Just click 'edit' on any post and select the option to delete it)

I would double check and make sure none of your moderators are deleting the posts.

Also, all of your moderators have access to http://www.arkansasducktalk.com/mod/

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Cary's right. Moderators have the same powers as an Admin and can delete posts even without access to the Admin CP.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rookie2
                    • Dec 2002

Ok I understand that, so there is no other explanation for this than one of my super mods deletin stuff??

Is there any way of finding out who it is , if this is in fact what is happening??

Is it possible the web host had a problem and some got erased???
                    Last edited by Rookie2; Mon 13 Jan '03, 5:41am.

Comment

• ccd1
                      • Jun 2002

I had the same thing happen to me once. I stripped all mods of their powers and haven't had it happen since.

Comment

• WetWired
                        • Jul 2002

I stripped all mods of their powers and haven't had it happen since
                        And the point of powerless mods?

Yeah, it's gotta be your mods that are doing it. Try removing delete permissions and making a private trash can forum that only staff can see. Make them move threads to the trash forum instead of deleting them. Users' post counts won't drop, and you'll know who's doing the deleting (use edit thread to see who did what)
                        http://www.zelaron.com/sigs/rotsig.gif

Comment

• ccd1
                          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by WetWired
                          And the point of powerless mods?
                          I meant they were stripped of their power, as in they were no longer mods, but regular members.

Comment

• Rookie2
                            • Dec 2002

It's happening again

I have put a common denominator on this whole deal though, it is deleting the posts of the newest members, the threads they start are being deleted, there are no other mods or admins other than myself, and the web host says they have had no problems, whats goin on folks???

pleaseeeee...

Comment

• Cary
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 3.6.x

I don't see how this is happening. Do you have any hacks installed?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...