Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ummahforums
    • Apr 2002

gzip compression level

I have recently moved my forum site to a dedicated server of it's own, with a 1.2GHz Celeron processor and 256MB RAM. It's quite a busy forum, but I need to save on bandwidth, so what gzip compression level would be best?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Level 1 is recommended. Anything more takes up more CPU time for very little improvement.

Comment

• LanciaStratos
      • Jul 2001

Always go with level 1. Higher levels will defeat the purpose of using gzip at all because of the extra load placed on the server while it spends more time compressing the pages.

Comment

• ummahforums
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by LanciaStratos
        Always go with level 1. Higher levels will defeat the purpose of using gzip at all because of the extra load placed on the server while it spends more time compressing the pages.
        I had it on 4. I just changed it to 1.

Many thanks for the advice!

Comment

• fury
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by ummahforums
          I had it on 4. I just changed it to 1.

Many thanks for the advice!
          If you'd like to save even further, here's a great mini-tutorial made by Kier. Note, however, that making this modification will prevent users from raising or lowering font sizes from within their browsers.

https://forum.vbulletin.com/node/18467

Comment

• LanciaStratos
            • Jul 2001

Originally posted by fury
            If you'd like to save even further, here's a great mini-tutorial made by Kier. Note, however, that making this modification will prevent users from raising or lowering font sizes from within their browsers.

https://forum.vbulletin.com/node/18467
            It will only prevent the visitor from resizing the text if you specify the size in exact pixels (i.e. font-size: 12px), otherwise it will be just like setting the size attribute with an HTML font tag.

Comment

• fury
              • Jun 2001

It will only prevent the visitor from resizing the text if you specify the size in exact pixels (i.e. font-size: 12px), otherwise it will be just like setting the size attribute with an HTML font tag.
              Yes, but between a few of the most commonly used browsers, font-name settings are different. e.g. in IE, "xx-small" is like "x-small" in Mozilla. It would require adding multiple styles to suit IE users, NS 4.7 users, and Mozilla users

Comment

• LanciaStratos
                • Jul 2001

Originally posted by fury
                Yes, but between a few of the most commonly used browsers, font-name settings are different. e.g. in IE, "xx-small" is like "x-small" in Mozilla. It would require adding multiple styles to suit IE users, NS 4.7 users, and Mozilla users
                But can't you just enter a number, for the font point size? You're probably right, but I think I remember playing around with this about a year ago.

Comment

• fury
                  • Jun 2001

But can't you just enter a number, for the font point size? You're probably right, but I think I remember playing around with this about a year ago.
                  Point sizes also don't allow dynamic size changing (at least not in my experience. I think Netscape 4.7 allowed them)

I wish all browsers were standards-compliant. (wish? i'd have to pray for a farkin' miracle. )

Comment

• ummahforums
                    • Apr 2002

Just followed Kier's instructions. Everything's working superbly!

Many thanks! (and thanks to Kier if he's reading this!)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...