Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rookie2
    • Dec 2002

I've lost threads and posts, help

How do I use my backups to put things back??

I am really ignorant about this so please be detailed if possible thanks !!

I appreciate any help anyone can offer!!
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Follow the instructions at http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html starting with step 3.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Rookie2
      • Dec 2002

I apologize for my Ignorance

<LI>But this is like reading japanese to me <LI><LI>Telnet/SSH into machine2 < (What does this mean???) <LI>create a database on the mysql if necessary (ask your server admin for help with this as it varies from machine to machine) <LI>at the prompt type
      mysql -uUSERNAME -p newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql
      <LI>this takes a couple of minutes depending on your database size, but you can track the progress either by FTP (checking the /mysql/data/newdbname and see the files appearing) or by phpMyAdmin (you should see the files appearing there) <LI>when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt

I backup every night at Midnight but I dont have a clue where to put the backup to make it work ??

Is it possible to tell me in a way a child could understand?

Thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Let's start at the beginning. What specifically don't you understand?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rookie2
          • Dec 2002

I don't know what telnet/ssh is exactly although I believe its a mysql program? or maybe its this Putty program I downloaded but dont really know how to use??

This is my first time messing with a bulletin board, so I am sure I am way behind here.

The Putty program I have is Release 0.53b 1997-2002

Creating the database??? I think its already on my server I had them make a program to back it up at midnight every night?

at the prompt type
          mysql -uUSERNAME -p newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql

at what prompt?? no clue

I really need to know how to do this myself as it sometimes takes a long time to get my web host to do this if at all.

Thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

First you need to login with putty. To do this start putty and enter youer qwebsite address. You will be asked for a username and password. These were supplied to you by your webhost. They should be the same as the FTP u/n and p/w.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rookie2
              • Dec 2002

ok

I signed on with putty but it didnt ask for my user name and password, but its up or so it appears, what now??

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

What appears exactly? Are you at the server's command prompt?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Rookie2
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  What appears exactly? Are you at the server's command prompt?
                  220 Pro FTPD 1.2.Orc3 Server ( ProFTPD default installation) [host3.veohost.com]

The prompt is just below this

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

What's the 'prompt'? The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to help you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Rookie2
                      • Dec 2002

I seriously feel like a total idiot here lol
                      the prompt is just a place to type nothing there really except what I type in??

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Then try typing the mysqldump command (with your specific db data) and see what happens.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Rookie2
                          • Dec 2002

It says not understood but I am unsure of what the path should read too.
                          I typed in mysql/1-4-2003.dump which is where the backup is?>?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Rookie2
                            It says not understood but I am unsure of what the path should read too.
                            I typed in mysql/1-4-2003.dump which is where the backup is?>?
                            That's not the command you should use. It should be something like this:

mysql -U USERNAME -p DBNAME < backup.sql

Of course this assumes you are in the same directory as the backup file. If not, either change to that directory, or use the full path name to it, i.e.;

mysql -U USERNAME -p DBNAME < /path/to/backup.sql

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Rookie2
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                              That's not the command you should use. It should be something like this:

mysql -U USERNAME -p DBNAME < backup.sql

Of course this assumes you are in the same directory as the backup file. If not, either change to that directory, or use the full path name to it, i.e.;

I have tried several things and honestly have no clue how to determine what the correct path is here.

I have a backup.php file is all I am finding besides the true backup files which ends in (.dump) not sql ??

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...