• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul
    • Dec 2001
    • 3.6.x

Potential solution for backing up large databases via the web

Hello all,

Motivated by another thread I saw on here, I figured I'd throw a quick pointer to anyone attempting to backup their database via the Admin Control Panel without having to rely on telnet (SSH, etc.) access to the server. This is for servers running Apache and for users who are getting timeouts when attempting to backup their database. If you don't know what web server you're dealing with, contact your host.

The following will only work if Apache has been configured to allow you to overwrite the appropriate configuration settings in .htaccess files:

Create an file called ".htaccess" (preceding dot included) that contains:
    Code:
    php_flag max_execution_time 0
    Save it and upload it to your forums' admin directory and then try to backup your database.

I have not tested this myself, but it should work for those of you experiencing this problem. I'd recommend looking for a host that provides SSH access.

Best wishes,
    Paul

Edit: While we're on the subject, perhaps the developers should have a look at the ini_set() function. The max_execution_time value can be set within the actual backup script itself, possibily preventing this problem in the future altogether. Again, untested.
    Last edited by Paul; Sun 5 Jan '03, 10:24pm. Reason: ini_set()
  • LeeCHeSSS
    • Jan 2002

Quite the contrast: The author of the "other" thread boasting and not sharing, you sharing and not boasting.

Thumbs up to you LoveShack , thumbs down to the "other" guy

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by LoveShack
      Edit: While we're on the subject, perhaps the developers should have a look at the ini_set() function. The max_execution_time value can be set within the actual backup script itself, possibily preventing this problem in the future altogether. Again, untested.
      I have found that most hosts that don't give SSH access to their customers, also disable functions like this to keep control over their systems.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by LoveShack
        The following will only work if Apache has been configured to allow you to overwrite the appropriate configuration settings in .htaccess files:

Create an file called ".htaccess" (preceding dot included) that contains:
        Code:
        php_flag max_execution_time 0
        Good solution for those than can take advantage of it!
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Paul
          • Dec 2001
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          I have found that most hosts that don't give SSH access to their customers, also disable functions like this to keep control over their systems.
          Well.. phooey to them. I love my host

It does return "FALSE" if the setting can't be made, so it might be a good thing to throw it in the backup script just in case AllowOverride ALL is set on. Perhaps throw up a notice to the admin letting them know that the max execution time can't be overridden, they might have problems backing up via the web, and to contact their host or give instructions on how to do it via telnet/ssh.

Better yet, if it doesn't work provide a box to enter in an e-mail address and a message to send backup instructions right to the hosting company. Ala "e-mail this to a friend."
          Last edited by Paul; Mon 6 Jan '03, 10:25am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...