X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonP
    • Jul 2002

And they said it couldn't be done

Well to make a long story short, vbulletin admin here, said that backing up a large database through the admin panel (over 80mb) could not be done. They also said without telnet/ssh access that you will have to have your host back the database up for you and send it to you, then if you have telnet on your new host, then you have to upload it that way.

I say not true

I did it.

You do not need telnet NOR shell access to backup your database from your OLD server and re-install it on a NEW server. All you need is your admin cp from Vbulletin and the control panel on your other site.

hehehehe.
  • Cary
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

And... that vB Admin is correct. It's very unlikely, if possible, your 80MB Board was backed up via the Admin CP.

If the board you're talking about is http://205.214.77.209/vbulletin/, IMO that doesn't look like an 80MB Board.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

The only way this could happen is if the server has a very unique and non-standard configuration. Could you fill out a support ticket with the URL and login to your Admin CP? I'd be interested in seeing this for myself.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• JasonP
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        The only way this could happen is if the server has a very unique and non-standard configuration. Could you fill out a support ticket with the URL and login to your Admin CP? I'd be interested in seeing this for myself.
        Cary, no that is not the board, that is my personal board and it only has about 4 mb in it. The board I did is for another member here. The database is about 85 mb actually and he did not have access to telnet or ssh on the old server and I was still able to do it. And don't tell me I didn't because here is the link.

The reason for the ip is because the DNS has not changed yet from his old server.

Somebody's eatin crow on this one and it ain't me. Just kidding

Jason

Comment

• JasonP
          • Jul 2002

Oh yeah steve,

I could tell you and vbulletin how I did it, but then I'd have to shoot you, rofl.

And by the way, I know why everyone's backout times out on the admin panel when its big too, thats another secret.

There is a way

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by JasonP
            Oh yeah steve,

I could tell you and vbulletin how I did it, but then I'd have to shoot you, rofl.

And by the way, I know why everyone's backout times out on the admin panel when its big too, thats another secret.

There is a way

I'm not quite sure why you are keeping this big secret. You come here claiming that you have found a way to do this, yet you don't want to share how you did it?

Sorry, but unless there is something unique in the setup of your server, then I just don't believe. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong however if you'd like to help us out and fill out a support ticket. If you're right, then this could help other customers with the same problem. If you don't want to do this, then what was the point of your posting this?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• JasonP
              • Jul 2002

I'm not quite sure why you are keeping this big secret. You come here claiming that you have found a way to do this, yet you don't want to share how you did it?

Sorry, but unless there is something unique in the setup of your server, then I just don't believe. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong however if you'd like to help us out and fill out a support ticket. If you're right, then this could help other customers with the same problem. If you don't want to do this, then what was the point of your posting this?
              Hi Steve,

Take a look at the link I provided above. There is by far no secret server set up, this was one of the most outdated control panels I have ever seen. So nothing there. Where would you like the tutorial sent?

Jason

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

As I said, fill out a support ticket here:

And be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• JasonP
                  • Jul 2002

As I said, fill out a support ticket here:

And be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP.

Hi Steve,

Like I said, this is not my board so I cannot give you a login to someone else's board. Why would you need it anyway? I can tell you how its done it is simple really.

Comment

• ccd1
                    • Jun 2002

The steps you took are known, anyone can do it with a small database. What is unique is that it did not time out, so this has to do with the server configuration, not the steps you took.

Comment

• JasonP
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by baragon0
                      The steps you took are known, anyone can do it with a small database. What is unique is that it did not time out, so this has to do with the server configuration, not the steps you took.
                      Guys,

I will bet you a million dollars it has NOTHING to do with the server configuration. You are lost on this one trust me. I know EXACTLY what makes it time out.

Jason

Comment

• ccd1
                        • Jun 2002

Then why don't you tell us by posting it here?

Comment

• JasonP
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by baragon0
                          Then why don't you tell us by posting it here?
                          Baragon0,

Its like this. Nobody gave me vbulletin software, I bought it. I get support for vbulletin on here because I paid for the software. Why should I reveal this for free? Whats in it for me? I am not trying to be rude to anyone here, Knowledge isn't free, if it were, then vbulletin would be free.

If someone wants to provide me with a username and a password to a board with 80mb of sql database and thinks I cannot back it up through the cpanel? Then give me the URL and the username and pass and I will hand you your database in 10 minutes.

Jason

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Believe it or not, most people come to these forums and provide free help and support to fellow Vb customers, including baragon0 who's freely helped others in a spirit of good will. In fact everyone on the support team did this gratis long before we were asked to join the team.

You came here forums claiming that the information we gave you was wrong and that you had a secret way of getting the Admin CP backup to work with larger dbs. Frankly the burdon of proof is on you to prove your case. If you are not willing to do this, then so be it. However you really can't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• JasonP
                              • Jul 2002

Believe it or not, most people come to these forums and provide free help and support to fellow Vb customers, including baragon0 who's freely helped others in a spirit of good will. In fact everyone on the support team did this gratis long before we were asked to join the team.

You came here forums claiming that the information we gave you was wrong and that you had a secret way of getting the Admin CP backup to work with larger dbs. Frankly the burdon of proof is on you to prove your case. If you are not willing to do this, then so be it. However you really can't expect anyone to take you seriously.
                              Hey Steve,

I am not coming here saying I have a "secret" way of getting in. I have not hacked into anything, there is no security flaw if that is what you are insinuating. You don't take me seriously? Then give me a forum to back up. Its real simple.

Jason

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...