Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blairwarlock
    • Nov 2001

Email not being sent out

After upgrading to 2.2.9, mail is no longer being sent out. Not sure, but this may be pure coincidence.

When I try to email a user their password, it tries to process the request, then just goes to a blank page. Mailtest.php does the same thing, so I'm thiking something else is going on. I'm using php 4.1.2. Are there are logs on the server I can check? Any advice? Thanks!
    Last edited by Blairwarlock; Sun 5 Jan '03, 10:12am.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

If you have the same problem with mailtest.php then it's a server issue. Are you on a Windows server by any chance?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Blairwarlock
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      If you have the same problem with mailtest.php then it's a server issue. Are you on a Windows server by any chance?
      Yes, Win2k. Everything was working fine just recently. I have an open ticket with my ISP to verify that the SMTP server I was using is still valid. I've also asked them to check logs on the mail server.

Any other advice Steve? TIA!

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Try this. Backup your database, then run this MySQL query in phpMyAdmin:

UPDATE template SET template = REPLACE(template, "\n", "\r\n");

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Blairwarlock
          • Nov 2001

Try this. Backup your database, then run this MySQL query in phpMyAdmin:

UPDATE template SET template = REPLACE(template, "\n", "\r\n" );
          Ok, I will do that shortly after I hear back from the ISP. In the interim, can you please tell me what the above does exactly? What are your thoughts on what's happening so I have a better idea. Thanks again!

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

This query corrects a semi-common problem with many Windows server. According to the Dev that found this fix:

The email RFC dictates that each line be ended by \r\n. CVS strips out \r\n and replaces them with \n. This will undo that in the templates.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Blairwarlock
              • Nov 2001

This query corrects a semi-common problem with many Windows server. According to the Dev that found this fix:
              Ok, thanks. Strange though that it was working fine before. Did v2.2.9 make any changes to templates/tables that would have broken this?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

No. Did you have a previous problem with vB in which someone from the support staff might have run this query in the past? The effects of this query are overwritten when you upgrade.

Note, this issue will not be a problem with vB 3.0.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Blairwarlock
                  • Nov 2001

No. Did you have a previous problem with vB in which someone from the support staff might have run this query in the past? The effects of this query are overwritten when you upgrade.

Note, this issue will not be a problem with vB 3.0.
                  No, nobody has ever run this query before. I haven't heard back from my ISP yet. Do you think it would be safe to run that UPDATE statement even if that may not resolve the issue? If it doesn't resolve it, should I restore the old DB dump or not?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Personally I've run that query on about 2 dozen forums and it's never caused a problem.

Download the attached mailtest2.txt file. Rename it to mailtest2.php and upload it to your server. Then run it. What happens this time?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Blairwarlock
                      • Nov 2001

Personally I've run that query on about 2 dozen forums and it's never caused a problem.

Download the attached mailtest2.txt file. Rename it to mailtest2.php and upload it to your server. Then run it. What happens this time?
                      I ran mailtest2.php and nothing happens. I get a blank screen. I don't even get prompted to enter an email address as I would when I run the original mailtest.php. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I still have not run the UPDATE statement.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

It should still run. Fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Blairwarlock
                          • Nov 2001

It should still run. Fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.
                          Something weird just happened. The entire site is now down, and no PHP components can be run. Is there a way to reset the PHP process on a Win2K machine w/o rebooting?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Well that would explain why the mailtest scripts aren't running.

Depending on how the server is set up you might be able to restart PHp by restarting Apache.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Blairwarlock
                              • Nov 2001

Well that would explain why the mailtest scripts aren't running.

Depending on how the server is set up you might be able to restart PHp by restarting Apache.
                              Actually, I'm running IIS. In any case, I rebooted the server and the site came back but the mail function is still not working. So, I ran phpMyAdmin and executed the SQL update statement you asked. It came back with "Effected rows: 258". I then tested the mailtest2.php script and it still shows a BLANK page. I then ran mailtest.php, entered the email address and it did the same thing it did before, which is think for a few seconds, then go to a BLANK page. Do I need to restart anything after running that UPDATE statement?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...