Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hankster
    • Feb 2002

Post Counters Not Working

This has been going on for quite a while but figured I would ask and maybe someone has some ideas. I have a number of members who's post counters are not counting. Sometimes I can manually change them and they start working and other times changing them doesn't fix the problem.

I am running 2.2.9 and it has been like this for at least from version 2.2.7. As far as I know, it is an unmodded vB. I made some mods quite awhile back but overwrote them because they didn't work as I wanted.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know... TIA
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Check the database and see if the affected members have entries in both the user and userfield tables.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• hankster
      • Feb 2002

Yes, they have enteries in both. One even shows a last posting date with a post count of 0 even though they have a number of posts. This is not happening to everyone, just a few people.

Maybe if I can find out what files write this to the DB I can reupload those files. While I believe I have everything "stock", it is possible that some file is an old "hacked" version that I never put back to "stock".

What is strange is that with one for them I manually changed the counter via the CP and they now seem to be counting correctly... go figure.

Or I'm open to any other ideas.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Try updating the counters to see if this fixes the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• hankster
          • Feb 2002

If I update the counters won't that reset all the post counts? I have mass deleted messages in the past and updating the counters would lower the post counts for many members.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Yes it would. Sorry I don't have any other ideas. You must have installed some hack that kept the post counts intact when mass deleting - otherwise the pruning would have reduced the counts. Perhaps this hack is also responsible for this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• hankster
              • Feb 2002

Guess I stated that incorrectly. My board was imported from UBB. With UBB you can mass delete and keep the post counts. So those "inflated" post counts carried over to vB. Since then I have never updated the counters.

I'll give a try none the less. We know how "sensitive" some can be when it comes to post counts, but guess they will have to live with it. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Comment

• hankster
                • Feb 2002

OK, here is what I have done:

I uploaded a fresh set of vB files overwritting all of my "old" vB files. I then updated User's Posts Count, Forum Info and Thread Info. That did not fix it.

Look at http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showth...176#post347176 and you can see they posted a message (actually they have many messages) and their count is 0.

Comment

• almighty one
                  • Feb 2001

Originally posted by hankster
                  OK, here is what I have done:

I uploaded a fresh set of vB files overwritting all of my "old" vB files. I then updated User's Posts Count, Forum Info and Thread Info. That did not fix it.

Look at http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showth...176#post347176 and you can see they posted a message (actually they have many messages) and their count is 0.
                  are you sure your forum they are posting in is set to count the posts in the forum goto forums and edit one of the ones they are posting in look at the bottom see if it is checked to count post count in that area just a thought
                  http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Part of the UBB import process specifically calls for updating the counters. Since you bypassed tht step, I really don't know what effect this has on the database. I'm afraid the only solution I can offer is to update the counters. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• hankster
                      • Feb 2002

Hehe... boy do I feel like a dope! You are absolutely right. My "off-topic" forum is set not to count the posts. In the one example I gave they have never posted in any other area but the off-topic area so that is why their post count is zero. duh..... so simple yet so easy to over look.

Comment

• hankster
                        • Feb 2002

I figured it out (I think). Read my reply to almighty one. I'll just sheepishly go back to my corner and mind my own business.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

There's no shame in being wrong. Shame comes when someone refuses to admit they were wrong.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment