Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeeCHeSSS
    • Jan 2002

Vanished menu_background.gif

While tinkering with my header, I temporarily commented out the menu_background (it's mentioned twice in the header template). It disappeared normally - No problem at all here.

BUT when I reverted the template back to the original, it did not come back. I've noticed this behaviour on 2 sites already, both on different servers. I tried doing a forced refresh of the page, but alas.

Does ANYONE know how to get it back?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Are you absolutely sure you reverted this back to original? If so, upload the vbulletin.style file from the zip file to your admin directory. Make sure you upload in ASCII and overwrite the one on the server. Then use the Styles Download/Upload function to 'Import existing style set'. Choose 'No, create a new style', then click on 'Import File'.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
      • Jan 2002

Yes, I'm 100% sure I reverted it back - there's not many ways to press the 'revert to original' link, is there?

Anyway, won't importing the default style file delete all other templates as well? Cos that's not an option, I'm working on a rather extensive hacked board atm...

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

If you do what I suggested this will only update your master templates and not any custom templates. Nonetheless you should download copies of your style sets anyway.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          If you do what I suggested this will only update your master templates and not any custom templates. Nonetheless you should download copies of your style sets anyway.
          Okay, now I'm confused... you want me to update my unchanged templates to the default?

Just to make sure you understand my problem: the template is already reverted to the default. When I view the page it does not show the menu_background. HOWEVER, when I look at the source of the page, the code is there. Refreshing the page does not bring it back (not even CTRL-F5).

Hrm, I haven't tried viewing the page on a computer that has not "visited" the page before...

Anyway, I should be in bed now

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by LeeCHeSSS
            Okay, now I'm confused... you want me to update my unchanged templates to the default?
            Your unchanged templates should already be 'default'. I was merely suggesting you make sure you have the correct master Template set since you appeared to be saying that the default template did not include menu_background.gif. Since this is, in fact, in the page source then there's another issue.

Are you sure yiou have a menu_backround.gif file in the appropriate directory? What's the URL to your forum so we caqn check this out?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
              • Jan 2002

Your unchanged templates should already be 'default'. I was merely suggesting you make sure you have the correct master Template set since you appeared to be saying that the default template did not include menu_background.gif. Since this is, in fact, in the page source then there's another issue.

Are you sure yiou have a menu_backround.gif file in the appropriate directory? What's the URL to your forum so we caqn check this out?
              Yup, never deleted the gif file either, so it's there.

Both www.online-roleplaying.com and dev.online-roleplaying.com show(ed) this behaviour (the first site has a custom header now anyway).

Before anyone complains about the second site, it's actually my test board, and it usually has registration disabled, but I'm working on the register templates atm... *still need to get .htaccess working on the server*

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

I think the image is dispaying. You have modified it to match your color scheme:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                  • Jan 2002

I think the image is dispaying. You have modified it to match your color scheme:

http://www.online-roleplaying.com/fo...background.gif
                  If only the solution was that simple, then I wouldn't even have bothered you with it.

Yes, I have modified it on my live site. But it has a different colour than the page background. And even the default white version on the test site doesn't show.

I guess this is an X-file...

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                    • Jan 2002

Should I bother bumping, or are you folks just as puzzled as me?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

I still don't understand your last answer to my previous response. Sorry, I'm just puzzled I guess.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                        • Jan 2002

You stated (as I understand) that it did show but just wasn't visible because its modified colour was the same as the table background colour.

I answered by saying that the colour of the gif was indeed changed, but not at all the same as the table background colour.

To make it more obvious I have replaced the original menu_background.gif file (the white one). As you can see, it does NOT show.

I'm convinced this is NOT vBulletin's doing, but some obscure IE behaviour bug...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

I checked with Netscape and it made no difference. Sorry but I really don't know what's causing this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                            • Jan 2002

No need to apologise. I can live without a menu_background.gif file...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...