X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roody
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.6.x

Question

ok quick question. this tends to be one of those threads that can be misread so please bear with me. I have a buddy of mine who is my VBulletin help for my forums. (No it's not Gaming Evolved)

Anyway, I was wanting to get him a copy of the VBulletin code for him to use ONLY on his hard drive. In NO way would this ever be put on the internet since I have 1 active license already. Is this legal for me to do since it will be totally offline?

I'm not interested in breaking any laws or rules here, so please let me know.

Thanks
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Roody
    ok quick question. this tends to be one of those threads that can be misread so please bear with me. I have a buddy of mine who is my VBulletin help for my forums. (No it's not Gaming Evolved)

Anyway, I was wanting to get him a copy of the VBulletin code for him to use ONLY on his hard drive. In NO way would this ever be put on the internet since I have 1 active license already. Is this legal for me to do since it will be totally offline?

I'm not interested in breaking any laws or rules here, so please let me know.

Thanks
    If he is an employee of your organization and bound by a Non-disclosure Agreement, you can give him access to the source code so he can do his job.

However, if it gets released on the Internet in a second instance for some reason, it is you who are responsible for copyright violation and it is you that will be approached legally to pay all fines and damages such as lost profits associated with its distribution.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Roody
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      If he is an employee of your organization and bound by a Non-disclosure Agreement, you can give him access to the source code so he can do his job.

However, if it gets released on the Internet in a second instance for some reason, it is you who are responsible for copyright violation and it is you that will be approached legally to pay all fines and damages such as lost profits associated with its distribution.
      Ok. quick followup question. It's mainly code that im wanting to give him access too. Is this the only way about it? He isn't an employee of mine, just a friend who is pretty good with code. Anyway, just trying to see what I can and can't do for these purposes.

Thanks for the help and continued help.

Comment

• Roody
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Roody
        Ok. quick followup question. It's mainly code that im wanting to give him access too. Is this the only way about it? He isn't an employee of mine, just a friend who is pretty good with code. Anyway, just trying to see what I can and can't do for these purposes.

Thanks for the help and continued help.
        thoughts?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

As Wayne said, you will be taking a chance if you supply the original code to someone.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...