X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonlevine
    • May 2002

vBulletin Uber-schmuck

Ok, the saga continues:

I'm currently switching my site from one host to another. I'm using a temporary url for the new host (while the old host remains live) and trying to install vBulletin on the new server. I had no problem doing so, but realized (after everything was installed) that I had inputed the live url during installation instead of the temporary url, which is the one that I needed.

No biggie, right? I'll just re-install vBulletin with the proper settings. Oh, biggie.

First I tried to delete the vBulletin (not really called that, just using that name for clarity) directory from my webserver, but received a permissions error. I tried to reset the permissions on the files it said I could not delete, but I couldn't do that either. I deduced that these files are tied to the database and cannot be modified or deleted for security reasons (I could be totally wrong though).

Then, I downloaded a fresh copy of vBulletin and uploaded it OVER the existing copy. I fired up the install script, wiped out the database and put in all of the new settings. Everything seemed to go fine, except that now when I try to access the Admin page I get this error:

Warning: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 572 is not allowed to access /home/www/thebuzznyc/castings/admin owned by uid 575 in /home/www/thebuzznyc/castings/admin/global.php on line 192

Warning: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 572 is not allowed to access /home/www/thebuzznyc/castings/admin owned by uid 575 in /home/www/thebuzznyc/castings/admin/global.php on line 197

I'm guessing that there is some residual files or settings left from the orginal installation judging by this message. The question is, how do I either get rid of those files/settings or wipe everything out and start from scratch?

In a related story, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

JL
  • Cary
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

well... is Safe Mode on?

Upload your phpinfo.php file to your server and post the URL to it here. (the file can be found in the 'extras' folder of your vBulletin zip)

Comment

• jonlevine
      • May 2002

Originally posted by Cary
      well... is Safe Mode on?

Upload your phpinfo.php file to your server and post the URL to it here. (the file can be found in the 'extras' folder of your vBulletin zip)
      Ok, here it is:

Thanks for your quick response.

Comment

• Cary
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.6.x

Try to turn off the load-limiting options in your Admin Control Panel.

Admin CP --> vBulletin Options --> [Load Limiting Options]

Make sure to put a 0 (zero) into each option.
        Press the submit button at the bottom to save your options and the problem should go away.

Comment

• nexcess.net
          • Jan 2002

Jonlevine,

The error you are getting is strange. SAFE_MODE is fine for a VB board. This is how we usually go about moving VB intallations and I haven't had any major problems doing it this way yet:

1. copy all VB files from the old host/server to the new (kill your current installation on the new server). Just make sure the directory you are putting it in is the same as on the old host (i.e. if you had the forums installed at http://yourdomain.com/forums make sure you temp domain reflects this like http://new.temp.domain.com/forums.).

2. Next, close the boards on the old server.

3. Copy the DB from the old host to the new host (i.e. export from old host and import to new host).

4. Change any db settings in admin/config.php if necessary

5. Go to tempurl/forums/admin/ and turn on board on new server.

6. Ask you old host to redirect traffic from your old board to your new via mod_rewrite OR you can just put an index file in your old /forums directory that does an html meta redirect to the new temp domain.

We've moved very large boards with minimal downtime this way.

Hope this helps.

Chris
          NEXCESS.NET Web Hosting
          http://nexcess.net

Comment

• jonlevine
            • May 2002

Ok, I see what both of you are saying, but I think that I've screwed up well beyond this point. Now when I type in the temporary url (the new server) appended with /castings/admin <- the location of the forums, I'm immediatly redirected to the old site's admin page. I have NO idea why or how this is happening.

I'm starting to think that the best thing would be to just wipe out the current installation and then re-install and follow this instructions that Chris posted. But I"m still unable to delete the current installation.

I can't believe that I was able to mess this up so badly.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...