Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • incarnus
    • Nov 2002

Database - Help me please!

My organization has just bought vB and I'm attaempting to install it. However, the host that we're with is not running MySQL. They said they did when we signed up, but we got the email after we paid, and it said that the only databases they run are MS Access and MS SQL 2000 (for an extra fee each year).

Now my question is, are we totally screwed, or can I make vB work with this setup? I setup config.php and ran install.php, and all of that worked, it just says that it can't access or find the MySQL database.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Cary
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

If you are trying to recode your files to support MS SQL instead of MySQL, you'll have to edit ALL of vB's files... which is going to take a while.

If your not in a commitment with your host, I would suggest you find a new one... unless you want to edit all of vB's files everytime you want to upgrade (which would be hectic, IMO)

Comment

• incarnus
      • Nov 2002

Well, I have no idea how to edit these files, so I guess I'm screwed. Maybe I'll see if anyone's already done it over at vbulletin.org or somewhere. Thanks for the amazingly quick help! I'm already happy to have vB just because of the support!

Comment

• incarnus
        • Nov 2002

I just looked at vbulletin.org, and converting to MS SQL 2000 has been talked about, but as far as I can tell, it's never been done.

Is there any realistic chance that someone such as myself who has never before edited PHP could actually modify the scripts to work correctly for MS SQL 2000? Or should I just give it up now and buy a new host? Unfortunately my club has already paid for an entire year on our current host.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Cary
          • Apr 2002
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by incarnus
          Is there any realistic chance that someone such as myself who has never before edited PHP could actually modify the scripts to work correctly for MS SQL 2000?
          It would be possible but unlikely...

Or should I just give it up now and buy a new host? Unfortunately my club has already paid for an entire year on our current host.

Did you purchase hosting with your host recently? Many hosts offer a 30 Day money back sort of deal...

Comment

• incarnus
            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Cary
            Did you purchase hosting with your host recently? Many hosts offer a 30 Day money back sort of deal...
            Ooh, good idea. I'll have to check on that. Thank you very much for all your help!

- Chris

Comment

• incarnus
              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Cary
              It would be possible but unlikely...

Again, thank you so much for suggesting this, as I've just cancelled and gotten a full refund. We're now on a Unix host that supports MySQL.

Thanks!

- Chris

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...