Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonlevine
    • May 2002

MySQL database will not allow outside connections

I am (trying) to switch my site to a new host (Hostway) but am having a hard time installing vBulletin on their MySql server. I uploaded all of the files and set the information in the config.php script. I then check all of the data in Step 2 and when I click on Continue Without Updating Values (or even update config.php file) I receive the following error:

Attempting to attach to database...

Warning: Host '66.113.130.213' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in /home/www/thebuzznyc/castings/admin/db_mysql.php on line 38

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/www/thebuzznyc/castings/admin/db_mysql.php on line 47
    The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please go back to the last step and ensure that you have entered all your login details correctly.

I called Hostway, who told me that they do not allow "Outside Connections" to the MySql database and that the only way for me to access it is through SSH (they have an online java SSH tool).

Unfortunately for me, I have no idea how to use SSH or if vBulletin can be set up using SSH. I tried installing phpMyAdmin, but receive the same error when trying to conect through that.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to set up vBulletin in this scenario? Does anyone else use Hostway and has had this issue and solved it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried using localhost insted of the ip?

Comment

• jonlevine
      • May 2002

Yes, the MySql database is hosted on a different server from the web server, so localhost will not work.

I do have the Hostway team working on this issue as well, just make sure that this is not coming from their end. We'll see.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by jonlevine
        Attempting to attach to database...

Warning: Host '66.113.130.213' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in /home/www/thebuzznyc/castings/admin/db_mysql.php on line 38
        There's the problem. Your server does not have permission to connect to the MySQL server. Only your host can configure this for you.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          There's the problem. Your server does not have permission to connect to the MySQL server. Only your host can configure this for you.
          A bit weird eyh that a hosting company offers you to use MySQL and put that on a different server then the web server, and then doesn't allow their users to have remote connections

By the way, if you use CPanel you could try to goto advanced tools and check up on your mysql options, one of the options I have is 'allowed remote IP's to mysql'. I did this to use the second mysql from the second account I have on my isp.

Comment

• jonlevine
            • May 2002

Originally posted by xiphoid
            A bit weird eyh that a hosting company offers you to use MySQL and put that on a different server then the web server, and then doesn't allow their users to have remote connections

By the way, if you use CPanel you could try to goto advanced tools and check up on your mysql options, one of the options I have is 'allowed remote IP's to mysql'. I did this to use the second mysql from the second account I have on my isp.
            Thank you both very much. I had long suspected that it was Hostway jerking me around. It makes no sense for me not to be able to access the database server from the webserver. Time to call and chew them out. Thanks again.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by jonlevine
              Thank you both very much. I had long suspected that it was Hostway jerking me around. It makes no sense for me not to be able to access the database server from the webserver. Time to call and chew them out. Thanks again.
              Enjoy your future hosting company

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...