Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vNovice
    • Oct 2002

Manually added user - NO access to private messaging

I'm running 2.2.8 and when I add a new user manually from the admin panel they can't use Private messaging. When they log into their user cp and click on Private Messaging they get the following:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

So any ideas ?

This is a BIG problem for my board.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I justed created a new user in the Admin CP of my unhacked 2.2.8 test forum and had no problems with private messaging. It worked perfectly.

Have you installed any hacks? What's the URL to your forum?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• vNovice
      • Oct 2002

Hi Steve,

No hacks installed.

I can give you access to the forum and the admin panel if you'll email me directly. It's a private board.

Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Best to dill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• vNovice
          • Oct 2002

I'll do that right now.

Thanks Steve.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

You had 'Can use Private Messaging' set to 'No' for the Registered user group. To change this:

Admin CP -> User Groups -> Modify -> registered [edit] -> Can use Private Messaging -> Yes

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• vNovice
              • Oct 2002

Duh, don't know how I missed that one.

Thanks Steve.

Comment

• jaks
                • May 2005

I have the same issue but for all users the fix won't work because the option is not there.
                Admin CP -> User Groups -> Modify -> registered [edit] -> Can use Private Messaging -> Yes

In Private Messages I have only 4 options I do not see anything like Can use PMs anywhere on the usergroups edits for any groups including Admin.

1. Maximum Stored Messages:If you set this to 0 users from this usergroup will not be able to use private messaging.

2. Can Use Message Tracking

3. Can Deny Private Message Read Receipt Request

4. Maximum Recipients to Send PMs at a timeo not set this too high for performance reasons (set to 0 to disable)

Jaks
                Last edited by jaks; Sun 22 May '05, 8:45am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by jaks
                  I have the same issue but for all users the fix won't work because the option is not there.
                  That's because this thread is for vB2. Please start a new thread in the appropriate forum for your version and problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...