Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Scherzer
    • Jun 2001

The banning option

I am having a problem in keeping someone banned from my forum. I put their email address in the "banned email addresses" section and had previously clicked "yes" on the "keep their email address" section. The person came back under different user names, but with the banned email address. I then clicked "no" to allowing banned email addresses from being used and the person came back on....with the banned email address. What am I doing incorrectly here? It is a Yahoo address, so banning the IP# won't work since I understand that the IP# changes constantly.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

In the vBulletin Options section of the Admin CP, set 'Require unique email addresses' to 'yes'. This will stop him from reregistering with a banned email address (although simply banning that address should also have worked.)
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

Unless the person is using Yahoo/SBC DSL, their free Yahoo email address has nothing to do with their IP address.

Comment

• Brian Scherzer
        • Jun 2001

Steve.........The board has been set to require unique email addresses for some time now. For whatever reason, this has not prevented the person from re-registering using the banned email address and different user names.

Tubedogg........Are you saying that I can input the IP# and that this would be effective?

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

Might be, unless they are on dial-up in which case it would change constantly as well. I was just saying their IP has nothing to do with Yahoo.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Brian Scherzer
            Steve.........The board has been set to require unique email addresses for some time now.
            Hmmm...something's wrong then. have you installed any hacks? I've just checked this out on my unhacked test forum and it worked perfectly.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Brian Scherzer
              • Jun 2001

Steve.........No, no hacks there. It may really just be me not understanding what I need to do. I am still a bit confused about the banning options setting that asks the admin to decide whether to allow banned members to keep their email address. I had set this to "yes" in the past and then read that this could cause problems, so set it to "no" yesterday. If there is anything else I need to do.......beside putting the banned email address in with a space between the previous banned person and this person, please let me know. THANKS!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and which email address(es) you are trying to ban.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• WizyWyg
                  • Jul 2001

If you have more than one banned email address, make sure that you have SPACES and not "carriage returns" between each listing.

Also, go into the profile of that person you are banning (ie if you haven't deleted them totally) and change their contact email address to something else (ie [email protected])
                  There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...