• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • latinO
    • May 2001

Is this possible?

Hi,

I have running vb 2.2.5.

Let's say I want to install version 2.2.8. or something. What I would like to do is make a clean install (so don't upgrade) and use the exsisting database with all my posts etc. So install 2.2.8 without creating tables in a database. Get it?

thanks,

latinO
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

you need to upgrade your existing database to keep your data.

Comment

• latinO
      • May 2001

Originally posted by Jakeman
      you need to upgrade your existing database to keep your data.
      What do you mean by this exactly? I don't understand. And how do I do this you're saying?

Thanks,

latinO

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

In otherwords you still need to run the appropriate upgrade scripts to upgrade the database from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8:

upgrade19.php
        upgrade20.php
        upgrade21.php
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• latinO
          • May 2001

So now I'm running 2.2.5... I can make a clean install of 2.2.5 using the same database with same content? How do I do this? Because the database is already there.

latinO

Comment

• Ghostsuit
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.6.x

You really need to upgrade the current database from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8 since there are physical changed to the database.
            From the 2.2.8 Release messageDB Schema Changes

Indexes changed on adminutil table
            So you should follow the upgrade instructions as steve said.

Still your message is a bit confusing so to try and clarify.

Clean install will create a new forum with no posts...if you select the database you currently have you could very well delete all you posts.

Upgrade will upgrade your board to the current version and keep all your posts.

However before you do anything I'd recommend backing up your board first.
            http://www.altnation.com/
            http://www.inyourcity.com/
            Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow!

Comment

• latinO
              • May 2001

Let say you've messed up your forum code a bit with hacks. And you would like to install a clean version of the forum software but still using the old database so you keep all your posts and stuff...

latinO

Comment

• Scrubby
                • Jan 2002

Just upload all the new 2.2.8 files and run the upgrade scripts. Be sure to take the calls to the certain hacks out of the templates, so no errors may come up. .

Comment

• Ghostsuit
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.6.x

Ahh well you got a few options...

Follow the upgrade process over writing your hacked files with the 2.2.8 files revert all your templates to the default then run the upgrade process. This will upgrade the forum with the posts to the new version then go about reapplying the hacks you want to use to the new files and templates. Takes time and will probably mean some down time for the site depending on how you do it and how many hacks you have to apply.

Option 2 which is alot more tricky is...create a clean install on your test board using another database. Then apply all your hacks to the files and templates download the style. Now upload the new hacked 2.2.8 files over your current 2.2.5 files, run the upgrade scripts required then upload your style to replace your current style. You also have to remember to run any database alterations that your hacks required.

In both case backup everything first. So if it all goes pear shaped you can revert back to the backe up version.
                  http://www.altnation.com/
                  http://www.inyourcity.com/
                  Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow!

Comment

• latinO
                    • May 2001

Thanks for the replies!

I'll think about it!

latinO

Comment