Clear All
  • JESawyer
    • Feb 2002

deleted forum, but post-deletion died in the process

1. http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums
    2. PHP version 4.06
    3. MySQL version 3.23.32
    4. Apache version 1.3.19
    5. I'm not sure of the distribution, but I think it's Redhat.

Problem: I attempted to delete a gargantuan forum with 300,000+ posts. I closed the boards before starting this process. At some time during the process, the routine choked and went to a white error screen. The forum is now gone, but a lot of the posts are still showing up in searches for user posts and other stuff. I need to get rid of these posts so that they don't interfere with searches anymore.
  • Lorddraco98
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.5.x

is it possible that you may need to rebuild the search index?? Or it could be that the posts actually didn't get deleted from the database when the process cut off, if that's the case, I really don't know what you could do, as deleting them from the DB is not practical. I'm sure someone else will have an idea in this case.
    -Draco
    The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

• JESawyer
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Lorddraco98
      is it possible that you may need to rebuild the search index?? Or it could be that the posts actually didn't get deleted from the database when the process cut off, if that's the case, I really don't know what you could do, as deleting them from the DB is not practical. I'm sure someone else will have an idea in this case.
      I think that a lot of the posts simply didn't get deleted. The number of posts at the top of the page still reads above 1,100,000.

Comment

• Lorddraco98
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by JESawyer
        I think that a lot of the posts simply didn't get deleted. The number of posts at the top of the page still reads above 1,100,000.
        that's prolly the case then
        I really don't know how you would go about deleting the posts that got left behind because as far as I can see from looking at my forums database, there is no forumid for each post, so you couldn't delete by that. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone else can
        -Draco
        The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

• JESawyer
          • Feb 2002

If that is the case, this really, really sucks. My company just launched a product and we're getting a lot more traffic on our site. We have to cut back on anything that could slow things down -- especially searches for users' other posts that look at a forum with 300,000+ posts in it.

I don't even want to think about what's going to happen when we announce our next big project.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Fill out a support ticket at:

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and phpMyAdmin. Also include information on which forum you were attempting to remove and all other relevant info. I can't guarantee we can fix it, but we'll try.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...