Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miss Behaviour
    • Jun 2002

Question

I was curious about Private Messaging. Ok, is there a limit each user can have? I don't know if I should enable it or not and if I do I'm worried it will suck up alot of storage. What is the deal with PM? I know it's cool and all but if I can't set some kind of limit or be able to monitor it, the space will run out in no time? Won't it?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

you can limit the number of saved PMs a user can have - Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [Private Messaging Options] -> Maximum saved messages

Comment

• mishkan
      • May 2002

Hope you don't mind my jumping into this thread... ... I have three related questions.

(1) How does vBulletin calculate the number of "saved messages"? In other words, does it count only messages in the inbox? Or does it count all messages in every folder, even in the customized folders that the users have set up on their own?

For example...

if I set the "Maximum saved messages" to 70,
      and a user has 50 messages in the inbox, and 30 messages in a folder called "my old messages",

then does he currently exceed the limit of "saved messages"?

(2) Are admins exempt from the limit?

(3) What method has worked well for people, in order to save their private messages... that is, important messages that can't be deleted?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

mishkan

Comment

• mishkan
        • May 2002

Hope you don't mind my bumping... it's been over 24 hours... everyone must be very busy.

mishkan
        Last edited by mishkan; Thu 25 Jul '02, 6:33pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

1. All messages in all folders.
          2. Yes
          3. Create an 'archive' folder and move the messages you want to save ot it.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mishkan
            • May 2002

Please let me clarify my 3rd question...

Hi Steve ,

(1) Thanks!
            (2) Thanks!
            (3) But, according to your answer for #1, the "archive" folder will be included in the number of "saved messages".

When I asked about how to save important messages, I really meant to ask how users can save them on their own computers, so that the users can delete those messages from the board. Very sorry for not being clearer in the first place.

What method works best, for downloading private messages? Can users download multiple messages at a time? And, in what format should the messages be saved?

Thanks in advance,

mishkan

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Sorry but there's no way to do this unless you want to give your users an unlimited amount of PMs. Think about it. If you didn't have any limit on the 'archive' folder, then what would stop people from putting all their PMs into it?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mishkan
                • May 2002

Steve, sorry for being so thick-headed here. I'm missing something in your explanation. Let me ask you this way...

Let's say I send you a very important private message. Then, let's say the vBulletin board admin announces that all private messages wil be deleted by tomorrow. But, you don't want to lose that important message.

What method would you choose, in order to download that message from the board, so you could store it on your own pc?

mishkan

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

There is no PM download feature. The only choice without hacking is to cut-n-paste the text of that message. If you don't mind hacking I believe there may be a hack for this over at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mishkan
                    • May 2002

Okay... we'll just do the old cut-and-paste method.
                    Thanks again, Steve... much appreciated.

Comment