Preparing for FIRST upgrade...Questions!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trobin
    • Jan 2002

Preparing for FIRST upgrade...Questions!

I'll apologize first thing for this long post...But I just want to give clear details upfront to be better understood...so please bear with me. I know I'm probably doing too many things, needlessly, but since I'm not an experienced PHP, mySQL user, I'm doing the best that I can.

There are no hacks or modified templates, etc. on our forum and this is my FIRST potential upgrade.

After reading tons of posts/threads at vB...and hearing that my database errors were being caused from my hosts PHP upgrade and my vB ver. 2.2.1 clashing, I've decided we can't wait until ver. 3.0, since I can't alter user data in my Admin CP, until after the upgrade to 2.2.6 (or so the posts suggest).

So...in prep, this is what I'm understanding. 1.) I need a full db backup before upgrading 2.) I need to upload the necessary upgradeXX.php scripts and install them in my admin directory. 3.) I need to restore the copy of the database backup into my forum and then we're all set to continue on our merry way until ver. 3.0.

Since, one of the important details that I read here, says to make sure the backed up data is complete, I couldn't figure out a way to do that without building a complete test board to check it out. So...I now have a new empty mySQL database, a new 2.2.1 install in a backup directory and I'm ready to check out the backed up file once it's made. (I don't understand telnet or SSH or mySQLadmin, so I'm going to ask my host to make a backup for me (for this first time)) BEFORE I check out the new upgrade.

So...my questions are:

1.) When I have my host reattach the .sql file into the new backup database, will all of our original color sets, usergroups, title graphics for each set, avatars, new smilies etc., still be intact or will I have to set that all up again in the new Admin CP and upload copies to the new image directories to check the backup and see if it's working properly and that the backup is in total, on the test board?

2.) When I do the upgrade on the test board (first), do I just upload the new upgrade scripts and run them or do I have to re-upload EVERYTHING again from the new upload zip file (except the install.php and config.php) to see if this upgrade fixes my PHP conflicts?

3.) I've read conflicting posts, so I want to be assured that a cron job through crontab in CPanel coded as: mysql -uusername -ppassword databasename < file.sql is just as reliable as telnet or SSH...(my host says it is and some here, do also).

I have another question, but I can't think of what it is at the moment...Again I apologize for the length. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

1) everything will remain intact, just be sure to upload all your images into your test forum's image folder.

2) you have a 2.2.1 database and 2.2.6 files (from the 2.2.6 zip file). then run the appropriate upgradeX.php files from your testforum/admin directory to upgrade the database. then you will end up with a 2.2.6 database and 2.2.6 files. make sure your testforum/admin/config.php file is pointing to your test database during all of this.

3) it should be just as reliable, yes.

Comment

• Trobin
      • Jan 2002

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jakeman!!

I'll admit in January, after purchase, but before my first install, I was scared spitless to attempt anything, since I read so many posts from other members having one problem complicated by another in these forums. I was encouraged by the quick responses from all of the vB team and Senior members! I finally overcame my intimidation and jumped into it.

My installs have gone without a hitch and my board has been running super, since day one!! I've learned so much from the mistakes of others and from the great advice given here!!

vBulletin and their team Rocks!!

Thanks again!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...