Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samtha25
    • Feb 2001

What happens after a 1000 days?

vBulletin appears to equate the last 1000 days with forever, such as when showing threads in a forum from "the beginning" and in the admin panel, when setting default thread view, 1000 is noted as "(ie all)".

Does a 1000 mean literally a 1000 days? If so, what happens when there are threads older than 1000 days?
  • Dotagious
    • Oct 2001

It means exactly what it says.... all. It will not archive past that amount.

Comment

• nuno
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.8.x

i guess 1000 means from the beginning, try it at vbforums.com, there are threads from '99
      You're my Prince of Peace
      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Re: What happens after a 1000 days?

Originally posted by samtha25
        vBulletin appears to equate the last 1000 days with forever, such as when showing threads in a forum from "the beginning" and in the admin panel, when setting default thread view, 1000 is noted as "(ie all)".

Does a 1000 mean literally a 1000 days? If so, what happens when there are threads older than 1000 days?
        1000 means show all
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• samtha25
          • Feb 2001

Re: Re: What happens after a 1000 days?

Originally posted by eva2000
          1000 means show all
          I know, but is "all" limited to threads less than 1000 days old? IOW, is Avenger correct in saying that threads older than 1000 days are not "archived"? If so, what happens to them? Are they deleted from the database automatically or simply not accessible via the queries?

Comment

• Dotagious
            • Oct 2001

If you make it 1000 days.... it will show EVERY thread EVER made on your board. You can limit the threads being show, but only up to 999 days. Anything over that (1000 days) will show EVERYTHING ever posted. This means you can not show those threads...lets say.... created 1500 days prior. So you can LIMIT the threads shown up to 999... but once you make it 1000... it will show ALL of them.
            Last edited by Dotagious; Sun 26 May '02, 4:15pm.

Comment

• samtha25
              • Feb 2001

Now, I'm more confused, Avenger, because you just said that "It means exactly what it says.... all. It will not archive past that amount."

When I see "daysprune=1000" I worry. We have threads that will be older than 1000 in a few days. I want to be sure that those threads don't disappear and that if someone selects a display option of "the beginning" that those threads will be included.

Comment

• Dotagious
                • Oct 2001

You are right, I should not have used the term "not archived". Allow me to clarify below:

Your threads will ALWAYS exist unless you manually prune them. Now, they will only show based on the amount of time you specify. If you select any period from 1 day to 999 days, it will only show threads created or last replied to during that amount of time. If you select any period from 1000 or above, it will show every thread ever created regardless of the last time it was replied to.

Comment

• Dotagious
                  • Oct 2001

So yes, they will appear if one of your members selected "since the beginning". They will always exist unless you manually prune them.

Comment

• samtha25
                    • Feb 2001

I'll stop worrying then. Thank you.

Comment

• Dotagious
                      • Oct 2001

Sorry for the confusion. I actually had taken out the "not archived" part, but I did so prior to your refreshing the screen.

Comment

• tubedogg
                        • Feb 2001

Actually...This will probably confuse things more than anything but I'll try

If you set it from 1 - 999, it will show that number of days worth of threads. 1000 will show *all* threads. 1001-infinity will show that number of days worth of threads.

1000 is hardcoded as a magic number meaning "all". All other day numbers are their actual values - e.g. 1200 is one thousand two hundred days, 13001 is thirteen thousand one days.

This is changed in vB3, and IIRC 1000 does not act as a magic number anymore. -1 will show everything, and 1000 will show 1000 days worth. (Again this is IIRC but I'm quite sure this is what it was changed to.)

Comment

• Fusion
                          • Aug 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by tubedogg
                          This is changed in vB3, and IIRC 1000 does not act as a magic number anymore. -1 will show everything, and 1000 will show 1000 days worth. (Again this is IIRC but I'm quite sure this is what it was changed to.)
                          Thanks, George. Using -1, or even 0, is way more logical for "all" than a magic number of eg. 1000.
                          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• tubedogg
                            • Feb 2001

*ahem*

Comment

• George L
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • May 2000
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by tubedogg
                              *ahem*
                              some people don't read too well
                              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...