Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WoodiE
    • May 2002

Can NOT add avatars...

I'm running vB 2.2.5 and everytime my users or myself tries to upload avatars from our computers or another site we get this error:

"The uploaded file is not a valid GIF or JPG file. Please ensure that it is and try again."

Even though the avatar is well within the avatar size limit. AND is a gif or a jpg file format.

Now if I save the avatar to my computer then upload it via ftp then add it with the Admin control panel it goes w/o a problem. What gives? What am I doing wrong?

Even if i save an already uploaded and used avatar to my computer then try to upload it via my user control panel i get the same error.

Thanks

WoodiE
    Debt-Made-Easy.com: Get out and stay out of debt.
  • WoodiE
    • May 2002

anyone?

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.6.x

Go to the options page of the control panel and temporarily set this option to yes: "Allow Image Size Checking Failure?"

Try to upload an avatar. Does it go through? If so, you may want to turn that option back off, or it's possible some users could upload avatars with larger dimensions than what you normally allow. Also, please send me a URL where your avatar is/should be visible -- I'd like to look at the data then.

If it doesn't work, stick this in a phpinfo.php file, upload it into your vB directory and send me the URL:
      Code:
      <?php
      phpinfo();
      ?>

Comment

• WoodiE
        • May 2002

Well I changed the "Allow Image Size Checking Failure" to yes, and that got rid of the error when uploading it from my computer via user control panel but it didnt upload the file.

I just get a red "X". As far as what avatar, well take your pick. It doesnt matter, I have uploaded about 20 some avatars via ftp and they work just fine. If i save one of them to my HD then upload it via control panel i get an error unless the Allow Image Size checking failure is checked to YES, but even then it doesnt upload it. Just gets rid of the error.

Heres the LINK for my phpinfo.

Thanks

WoodiE

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Your PHP is complied with safe mode enabled. Have you enabled the safe mode option in your Admin CP?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• WoodiE
            • May 2002

Ok, I have set "Allow Upload in Safe Mode" to Yes AND "Allow Image size check" to Yes and i still get the red X for my avatar.

When i just make Allow upload in safe mode i get the error back.

WoodiE

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
              • Apr 2000
              • 3.6.x

Your PHP is complied with safe mode enabled.
              I don't see that, Steve:
              "safe_mode
              Off Off"

However, what I do see is open_basedir. This is what's preventing uploads from working and it's not something we can workaround. It prevents you from opening any files outside of the directory it specifies and the location PHP places files by default is outside that directory.

You need to contact your host and ask them to specify an upload_tmp_dir inside your open_basedir directory (note: it'll probably need to be chmod'ed to 777!) or remove your open_basedir restrictions (doubt they'd do it).

(Also, you will want to turn off that safe mode setting unless you also set its companion setting: "Safe Mode Temp Directory")

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                I don't see that, Steve:
                "safe_mode
                Off Off"
                Well that's what I used to think too until Kevin or George told me that compiling with '--enable-safe-mode' overrides the actual setting. If you look at the top of the phpinfo.php you'll see this was compiled with safe mode. If this is incorrect information, then please straighten out Kevin or George.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• WoodiE
                  • May 2002

ok, i will contact the host. Thanks for all the help.

WoodiE

Comment

• TitanJeff
                    • May 2002

I'm in the same boat here as the same things happen to me when I try to upload a custom avatar and am having a hard time understanding exactly what I need to get my host to do in order to fix the problem.

How should I set the upload settings in admin?

What should I tell my host as to what is needed for it work?

Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Do you have a phpinfo.php file? If not create a text file with this content:

PHP Code:
                      <?php
                      phpinfo
                      ();
                      ?>
                      Upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• TitanJeff
                        • May 2002

Okay. I think I did it right.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 3.6.x

You also have open_basedir set so see my previous post for information on that.

Also worth noting is that your host has a VERY VERY old version of PHP running -- 3.0.15 to exact. (The latest is 4.2.1.) You might want to ask them to upgrade (PHP4 has much greater performance and many more features than PHP3).

Comment

• TitanJeff
                            • May 2002

I'll forward your comments to my host and let you know his reply.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

• TitanJeff
                              • May 2002

Okay, here is the reply from my server:

----
                              Ok, I chmoded your base directory to 777.

On the upgrade, we have like 50 servers to do. We are doing them one at a
                              time when we have time.

Usually this is done like 1 week. Yours is not slated for upgrade to php4
                              for a while.

----

So am I ready to go? What next? Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...