Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sal Collaziano
    • May 2000

Upgrade 2.2.3 to 2.2.6?

Hey all. Is it possible to do this without having any problems? I'd like to upgrade when this next release is made available. How can I make this happen without destroying my board?

Thanks...
    My vBulletin Forums:
    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There shouldn't be any problems as long as you follow the upgrade instructions and run the correct scripts. However you should always make a backup of your database prior to any upgrade.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

possible yes... safest way is to backup the forum prior to upgrading.. the way i do it is

1. backup forum
      2. create new empty database
      3. import backup into new empty database - this serves also to check the backup is properly dumped out
      4. then upload 2.2.6 files (when they're released) to site
      5. edit config.php and point the database to the new empty databasename you created in step 2. and which now holds a identical copy of your existing database vb version (via step 3)
      6. run the upgrade to 2.2.6 - this will upgrade your forum to 2.2.6 altering the duplicate copy of your database made in step 2. & 3.

this way original database is never even touched at all and you can do step 1 through to 6 again above if for any reason your upgrade messes up or has problems
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

As usual, eva2000 is late but with superior information!
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
          • May 2000

Okay, okay. So. hehe. Eva. Would you like to do this for me? How much would ya want? I was hoping to just wait until 3.0 but it seems I'm falling too far behind. I can't say I really love doing the upgrades.

Ya know something? I would love to pay extra for an option in the control panel - a link that you could simply click on and have all of this taken care of for you. The control panel would update with the latest version and backup the database, etc..

Could this happen?
          My vBulletin Forums:
          cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• Steve_S
            • Aug 2000

Another secret from GEEK supreme eva2000

Got any more

BTW, for others who may not know:

Step one: Close your forums first.
            Have a great day :)
            http://www.StopScum.com

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
              Okay, okay. So. hehe. Eva. Would you like to do this for me? How much would ya want? I was hoping to just wait until 3.0 but it seems I'm falling too far behind. I can't say I really love doing the upgrades.

Ya know something? I would love to pay extra for an option in the control panel - a link that you could simply click on and have all of this taken care of for you. The control panel would update with the latest version and backup the database, etc..

Could this happen?
              check pm/email... this isn't the place to discuss such commercial activities
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve_S
                Another secret from GEEK supreme eva2000

Got any more

BTW, for others who may not know:

Step one: Close your forums first.
                heh forgot that step hehe

ever since early days of 1.1.x i've upgraded this way.. leaving untouched the original database and making a copy of it via the backup and upgrading on that copy and NOT the original

you can't do wrong if you don't touch the original database

Comment

• intex
                  • Apr 2002

Sorry for the newbie type question, but I've only ever created a new database by running the vB installation again and specifying a new database name. I did this to create a test board.

Is this the way you're referring to or do I create a new database another way? Also what is the correct procedure for importing the database into the new one.

Again, apologies for the newbie questions

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by intex
                    Sorry for the newbie type question, but I've only ever created a new database by running the vB installation again and specifying a new database name. I did this to create a test board.

Is this the way you're referring to or do I create a new database another way? Also what is the correct procedure for importing the database into the new one.

Again, apologies for the newbie questions
                    yes install phpmyadmin and you can install and remove databases via your browser

-

1. Look to your left frame, and you'll see the name of your mysql databases.
                    2. Click on the database name and you'll see the right frame change, showing your databases' tables, how many records, table type (MyISAM) and table size and total database size.
                    3. Scroll down further in right frame and you'll see a few functions such as

- a text area box titled "Run SQL query/queries on database YOURDATABASENAME"
                    - 'Or Location of the textfile' with the Browse and GO button
                    - View dump (schema) of database which lists the table names in the database in a box and to the right of the box is a few functions labeled as, 'Structure only', 'Structure and data' and 'Data only'
                    - below these labels are check boxes with one of them closest to the GO button being, 'Save as file'

4. At the top of the right frame see the create database form box when you first log in to phpmyadmin

Comment

• intex
                      • Apr 2002

Thanks for the prompt reply

I've installed phpmyadmin and works as you specified. However, are you suggesting that I backup my database from here? I believe I was warned somewhere about using a browser / PHP to do this, so I actually do it manually with a batch file that contains the command:

c:\mysql\bin\mysqldump.exe --opt --all-databases > c:\Backup\Destination\Example\backup.sql

Is this the same thing and is the command prompt option not a better one?

So anyway, I can see the Create New Database option when you first login to that page and I will go ahead and create a new one, but where exactly do I import the database I just made a backup of?

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

Thanks for the prompt reply

I've installed phpmyadmin and works as you specified. However, are you suggesting that I backup my database from here? I believe I was warned somewhere about using a browser / PHP to do this, so I actually do it manually with a batch file that contains the command:

c:\mysql\bin\mysqldump.exe --opt --all-databases > c:\Backup\Destination\Example\backup.sql

Is this the same thing and is the command prompt option not a better one?

So anyway, I can see the Create New Database option when you first login to that page and I will go ahead and create a new one, but where exactly do I import the database I just made a backup of?
                        to create database = use phpmyadmin

to backup database = use command line

Comment

• intex
                          • Apr 2002

OK great And after I've created the database how do I actually reimport the backup database that I made?

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

OK great And after I've created the database how do I actually reimport the backup database that I made?
                            you're on windows ?

to import type
                            Code:
                            c:\mysql\bin\mysql -u mysqlusername -p emptydatabasename < c:\Backup\Destination\Example\backup.sql

Comment

• intex
                              • Apr 2002

Thx Eva2000 - you're a star

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...