X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mashby
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.6.x

Slow Posting Issue Re-Visted

This has been discussed in another post [link], but there wasn't any definitive answer, so I thought I would start a new post in the hopes of getting an answer.

Many people have complained that posting to their board has slowed to a crawl. The quick fix has been to disable E-Mail Notification. This does the trick, but it brings up another question, how do we change the e-mail configuration?.

To quote from the previous post:
    Originally posted by roy7
    By default if you don't override it, php uses

/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

to send email. This will, in fact, look up the remote domain's MX record and connect to deliver the email directly, while you wait. I'm looking into how to get sendmail to queue it instead. This is what is causing your delays I'm almost certain. Some of those servers might be down or slow, and sendmail sits and waits for it to finish.
    So, what other options are there so that e-mail is queued and not sent immediately?

Any help would be most appreciated.
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

To change your email setup you have to ask your host to change the configuration within php.ini, PHP uses an internal mail function that was setup when it was compiled.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• mashby
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.6.x

Insight, thank you!

PPN, thanks for the insight! Specifically, what should I ask for? What is the change that needs to be made?

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        • Dec 2000

well first upload a file with

PHP Code:
        <?
        phpinfo
        ();
        ?>
        and check your sendmail path it should be in the list.

Then contact your host and tell them to change the
        sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
        or whatever tha path was to what it should be. They should do this if you explain that it will be an improvement in performance.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• mashby
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.6.x

PPN,

Thanks for all your input on this matter and for helping me try to solve this problem.

I uploaded the PHP info file to my server (http://www.interpug.com/phpinfo.php) and the path for sendmail reads /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

What I'm not sure of is wether this is the correct setting, or if it needs to be changed. What should it be?

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
            • Dec 2000

Well i have the same as you do, and it experiences absoltely no problems.

The only thing i can think of is its sending out an email on a BIG thread which has lots of people wanting notification.

100posts by 20 unique users wanting notification so the server has to send 20 emails, maybe the server needs some new memory or a bigger processor or a faster connection.
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• mashby
              • Aug 2001
              • 3.6.x

Well, good to know anyway

PPN,

Thanks for at least confirming that my settings are ok. I'll have to delve deeper in a different direction perhaps.

Thanks again!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...