Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taubin
    • Apr 2002

Blue domino fixed everything!

keywords: /tmp/mysql.sock config.php Blue Domino database cannot connect permissions

Well I am completely satified with my web host Blue Domino. I have a fully tested and working solution that they provided and I have entered it below.

But first I wanted to say that they like many sites tell customers before hand that mysql is not supported outside of myadmin connectivity.

They went above and beyond the call of duty to get this going. I talked with the senior admin on the telephone about the problem, and yes they arranged this. They spent a good hour or two with me.

I represent 7 sites with them, and I have volunteered to use my own personal business site as their test bed for vbulletin issues.

They went in and debugged the vbulletin install. I just watched. They repeated the steps again and again to make sure it would work for you people (and me). I am now ordering two more web sites from them for my customers.

That said, here is the solution, hopefully someone will post it in a faq for me please. There are perhaps 11 other threads about this and I don't want to spam this professional board by answering all of those threads... someone please help me with this? thanks.

Todd B. Aubin
    President
    GoodKnight Productions

Problem:
    vbulletin cannot connect via /tmp/mysql.sock on some web sites that use a secure socket file. The message You do not have permission to access the database or database not found is displayed. Many threads here were answered with attempts to check for accounts and permissions. not so.

Solution:

This will work with or without a clean install of vbulletin. If you have already installed vbulletin you do not need to reinstall, but you must insure that you have undone anything you did while testing various suggestions at work arounds.

Here is what was given to me by Blue Domino:

When you first upload, edit the admin/config.php file and change the
    dbusername to 'root', dbpassword to your password, and technicalemail to
    your e-mail address.

THEN THIS ACTUALLY MAKES IT WORK:

$servername="localhost:/path/to/mysql.sock";

It's that easy.

If you want to let the guys over on the vbulletin forums know that all
    that needs to change for it to work is the $servername variable has to
    have the servername followed by a ':' and then the path to the socket.

(taubin adding this part)

That was their final write up. Now here is a real world example that I am putting here because I love examples and perhaps you do too:

Here is my config.php file with some dummied values. I did this on 3 walkthroughs from scratch and it worked everytime.

You DO NOT need to create the vbulletin database, vbulletin install will do it. If you have one already, just DROP it.

<?php
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Please note that if you get any errors when connecting, //
    // that you will need to email your host as we cannot tell //
    // you what your specific values are supposed to be //
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// type of database running
    // (only mysql is supported at the moment)
    $dbservertype="mysql";

// hostname or ip of server
    //$servername="localhost";
    $servername="localhost:/home/bdwebxxxx/yourweb.com/.database/mysql/mysql.sock";

// username and password to log onto db server
    $dbusername="root";
    $dbpassword="password"; // <-- password from your bluedomino admin

// name of database
    $dbname="vbulletin";

// technical email address - any error messages will be emailed here
    $technicalemail = "[email protected]";

// use persistant connections to the database
    // 0 = don't use
    // 1 = use
    $usepconnect = 0;

// which users are allowed to view the admin log
    // separate each userid with a comma
    $canviewadminlog = "1";

// which users are allowed to prune the admin log
    // separate each userid with a comma
    $canpruneadminlog = "";

?>

Comment

• Pabs
      • Apr 2002

Oh well, they still get a big "FU" from me.

I never had a problem with them either until I got on the phone with these tech people and they started telling me it was on MY end!

Oh please!!! It was so their fault.

They don't support mysql outside the admin center? Then why offer it? What kind of brainless operation is that?!?!?

And if you ask me, their "new platform" is even slower than the old one.

Comment

• taubin
        • Apr 2002

well

sorry it didn't work out.

there are many sites such as 321host-it and others that have the same policy.

They support mysql php and perl connections to the line that is needed to connect.

Again, I am sorry it did not work out for you.

You realize that the problem was really "on our end" and not theirs? As more service providers move to the new secure socket method, this solution will be needed to be read by many new users. Dude, they acctually went in and debug the vbulletin code, it was awesome to see a company do that!

They moved on to their new servers at about the same time you and I were trying to do this, so some of their responses may have been terse. So I was patient and waited for the high hit on their support people to subside.

Their new servers, for me anyway, are about 50% to 100% faster than the old ones. And my users love it.

Comment

• Pabs
          • Apr 2002

That's fine I guess. They aren't LIBERAL enough for me. Can't even host mp3's. Blah!

Comment

• taubin
            • Apr 2002

mp3s okay?

if you are selling them, it would be fine.
            I run ecommerce sites and other professional sites for them.
            You can sell music. You just cannot use their hosting services to promote illegal activity, not saying you are, I have no idea about your situation.

If you want to continue this conversation you may PM as I don;t want to clog this thread up with smaller issues (things that effect just you and I)

thanks for responding.

Comment

• Pabs
              • Apr 2002

All I am saying is that the hassle involved in running VBULLETIN on that host isn't worth it!

When I changed hosts, my first question to them was, "If I sign up, can I run a vBulletin." I got a response in seconds saying, "Of course! We have tons hosted here."

That was all the confidence I needed.

Blue Domino didn't even care about vbulletin until I raised hell two weeks ago. You can thank me I guess.

As for talking to a senior admin, you lucked out. I was stuck with mediators. I asked to speak to someone who knew what was going on (or was paid to act like they knew what was going on). But they said it all has to be logged blah blah blah.

Knowing more than minimum wage tech support is frustrating, especially when you can't do anything about it, since the servers are there, and you are not.

As for mp3, no where in the FAQ does it mention ecommerce. Just like the features page for MySQL doesn't say (at customer's request). I spent a good 3 days trying to install to a database that didn't exist, because I expected it to just come with.

They need to fix their web site and make it CLEAR!

My MP3's aren't illegal. I run a Dave Matthews Band web site, where they allow taping at all of their shows, and they are NOT for sale. They are to enhance the trading community.

Comment

• taubin
                • Apr 2002

well enough about this

didn't mean for this to turn in to a blue domino bashing thing.

I have used for them for years now, and also been happy with them. I simply explained that I had some customers lined up and wanted to purchase more space but would they please help me figure out the problem.

Before the server migration they sent out notices to everyone, and I had numerous personal email with their people. I knew that mysql was installed at the customer's request only.

Something that you didn't mentiond is that you get unlimited databases in their mysql setup, not just one like a lot of places.

Ever try to run vbulletin with 200+ members while sharing a 300 connection mysql? Can't be done. I have my own connection limit.

So I could run two vbulletins if I had licenses to do so, in theory.

Again, to be fair, they just finished a buttload of a migration and never did they cease to be professional in their handling.

In the future, if you write a professional letter that is constructively thought out it tends to bring a better response.

Comment

• Pabs
                  • Apr 2002

Re: well enough about this

Originally posted by taubin
                  didn't mean for this to turn in to a blue domino bashing thing.

I have used for them for years now, and also been happy with them. I simply explained that I had some customers lined up and wanted to purchase more space but would they please help me figure out the problem.

Before the server migration they sent out notices to everyone, and I had numerous personal email with their people. I knew that mysql was installed at the customer's request only.

Something that you didn't mentiond is that you get unlimited databases in their mysql setup, not just one like a lot of places.

Ever try to run vbulletin with 200+ members while sharing a 300 connection mysql? Can't be done. I have my own connection limit.

So I could run two vbulletins if I had licenses to do so, in theory.

Again, to be fair, they just finished a buttload of a migration and never did they cease to be professional in their handling.

In the future, if you write a professional letter that is constructively thought out it tends to bring a better response.
                  Damn you must be in on it!

Are you on their payroll?

Professional, they are not!

And I spoke with them on the phone and on their online live chat. They don't seem to respond to emails.

And please, spare us the cheerleading of Blue Domino MySQL. They didn't even know how to set it up until today.

Most hosts will give you as many databases as you need. Each database is installed locally. You don't share it with anyone.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

Please stop this Pabs. You made your point and I see no reason to continue to allow this to drag out in public any more.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Dave Baker
                      • Jul 2000

How I solved my mysql.sock problem

If your socket file is /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock, be sure the /var/lib/mysql directory is world-readable and world-writable -- otherwise PHP (e.g. vBulletin) or some other application trying to use that socket (via the web server, running as www or apache or some similarly restricted user) won't be able to, and your message board users will get a MySQL-generated error message when they try to view the message board.

This probably isn't a problem with sockets that are created by MySQL in the /tmp directory, which is probably world-readable and world-writable already.

I discovered this problem when I installed MySQL on my Linux Red Hat 7.3 server using the MySQL RPM (RedHat package manager) I got from the MySQL site -- the RPM seems to be configured to create the sockets file in /var/lib/mysql rather than in /tmp. I'm not sure whether the default permissions for the /var/lib/mysql directory were too restrictive when the RPM created it, but somehow that directory became owned by the user "mysql" and had Unix permissions of 700. As a result, PHP/vBulletin was showing the dreaded "can't connect" error to everybody who came to my message board:
                      Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13) in /var/www/html/bb/admin/db_mysql.php on line 42

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
                      Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
                      An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.
                      We apologise for any inconvenience.

The error messages went away when I entered, via telnet:

chmod -R 777 /var/lib/mysql

and then rebooted.

Here's another possible cause for the mysql.conf problem that so many other vBulletin users seem to have had: when I reboot my machine (by typing "shutdown -r now" from telnet), vBulletin sometimes (but not always) runs into the "Can't connect" error when my server comes back up. I think this is because the OLD mysql.sock file is still on the server and I'm guessing that it doesn't work properly with the new safe_mysqld/mysqld processes that have come up after rebooting. I seem to be able to avoid this problem by manually entering (via telnet) "mysqladmin shutdown" and then "killall mysqld" before entering the "shutdown -r now" command. By using those two commands, the MySQL server gets rid of its mysql.sock file when it shuts down (I think), and any mysqld processes that are using the mysql.sock file (which would prevent deletion of the mysql.sock file, I think) are killed off.

If anybody can confirm my understanding of how that works, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...