Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alixor
    • Jun 2001

vB staff, I really need your help

Ok, i've been postponing this for quite a while now. The upgrade of vBulletin from 2.0.3 that I currently have to 2.2.2 the lastest version.

I have not done it yet for one main reason. I'm afraid of loosing everyhing since I don't really know how to upgrade.

What I really need from the vBulletin Staff:

1)vB staff member to upgrade it for me if possible, and then briefly explain to me how it was done. And if that is not possible, to help me out while I do it.

2)

Download selected tables to your computer - This option allows you to select certain tables to download. To minimize the download size, you could consider omitting the "searchindex" and "word" tables. The data for these tables can be recreated at a later date using the 'Create search index' function under 'Maintenance options'. The data that is downloaded is in the form of SQL, so it consists of SQL statements to recreate the table structure and data.
    Save SQL data to the server hard disk - This option allows you to save the whole of the the vBulletin database onto the web server's hard disk. You must make sure that the directory where you choose to save the file has the necessary permissions to allow the script to write there.
    Download CSV Dump of a table - Using this option, you can download a CSV (Comma Separated Values) type file, which can then be easily imported into almost all major database systems, and also many Office applications (including MS Excel). You can also specify the delimiter (that seperates each field), and the quotes (that surround each field). Finally, you can opt to have a header row sent, which will contain the name of every column.
    How good are each of these backups? And how do you backup through Telnet

I really would like to get v. 2.2.2

Thanx for your help

Alixor
    My vBulletin- Alixor Message Boards
    All kinds of discussions. Sections dedicated specifically to Wheel of Time and Tolkien too.
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

just follow this

remember to backup your forums (MySQL DB) before upgrading.
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

just follow the link Asendin posted be sure to backup your mysql database before hand

or if you want a vB staff to do it, it will cost you US$135 as outlined on this page http://vbulletin.com/order.php
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Alixor
        • Jun 2001

All right:

From 2.0.3
        Upload all the files except install.php, then load up the following web pages:

When you are done, be sure to delete all the upgradex.php scripts.
        I backup my database and then do what the above says?

But how about all the images, colors, changes I have made since the orignial install, what will happen to all those? Will the upgrade take all the changes I made (without hacking, just regular changes) into account?

For example I have 74 smiles. Will the upgrade replace them/delete them? Will it work?

And as for the backup, the only way I know how to do it is through the AdminCP, by either saving it as an .sql file to my computer, or saving it onto the webserver (and I'm having some troubles with this too, but I think I could figure it out).

But everyone says that doing it through Telnet is safer.

I don't know how to do it through Telnet, could some PLEASE explain to me how to do it?

All I know is that I have a Telnet program...yet that is all...please, I really need to do this upgrade, and I don't want to loose anything.

Plus, I don't have a good backup of my board, which is a very BAD thing, I should backup every week or so, so I really need to get the hang of backing up through telnet easily and efficiently.

So if someone could help me out here please...thanx a lot

Alixor

PS: I just checked, the problem with the backup by saving the .sql file is that it's only 200K big. when I save again, it's like 150K. Then I get error messages to my email.
        Last edited by Alixor; Tue 26 Feb '02, 1:37pm.
        My vBulletin- Alixor Message Boards
        All kinds of discussions. Sections dedicated specifically to Wheel of Time and Tolkien too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...