X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarkReaper
    • May 2001

How exactly does banning work?

I've got a question regarding banning:

When you ban a user, they're placed in the banned usergroup, which can't even view the forums...Wouldn't they be able to logout and browse just fine?

When you ban a user, does it automatically add their IPs and email to the banned list?
    Seriously! - The Definitive Home of All Things Serious
    Seriously! Forums

To recieve support on these forums, enter your username here.
  • ac3
    • Jan 2002

You can ban either via IP or account. Account is usually the way to go, however if you experience users continually signing up to anny users, then an IP ban is in order.

Comment

• DarkReaper
      • May 2001

Does it automatically ban by IP when you ban an account though?
      Seriously! - The Definitive Home of All Things Serious
      Seriously! Forums

To recieve support on these forums, enter your username here.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

No. Banning a specific user simply places their account in the Banned by Moderator group. You would have to specifically additionally put in their email and/or IP in the appropriate boxes on the options page to ban those items.

Keep in mind IP banning is very inneffective at best, and at worst it can keep legitimate users out as well.

Comment

• CHNoodles
          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by tubedogg
          No. Banning a specific user simply places their account in the Banned by Moderator group.
          What is the "Banned by Moderator" group? I don't see such a group listed in my admin cp -> User Groups -> Modify list.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by CHNoodles

What is the "Banned by Moderator" group? I don't see such a group listed in my admin cp -> User Groups -> Modify list.
            you must create that group and then limit there access to no posting etc..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• CHNoodles
              • Mar 2002

Right now one of my moderators transferred a user to the 'Banned by Moderator' User Group even though that User Group doesn't exist yet. So what will happen to that user?

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

The first time one of your mods bans someone the group will be automatically created.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...