Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sal Collaziano
    • May 2000

Pruning...

Hi all. My web host has suggested that I prune one of my forums. I've got over 31,000 messages in one forum. Pruning deletes them. Right? Is there any way I can do something else with the messages besides deleting them? I'm not sure how pruning will actually help me (I never really understood this) but is there a way to get this same help without actually deleting the messages?

Thank you in advance,

Sal Collaziano
    My vBulletin Forums:
    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...
  • Sal Collaziano
    • May 2000

Is there a way to archive them to read only status?
    My vBulletin Forums:
    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

You could move them to a forum that disallows replying via permissions.

Why does your host think you need to prune your database? 30,000 message is nothing and remember this is not certain other forum packages that need pruning. Perhaps that is where he is getting this idea from. Our load generally comes from the number of users you have online, not the number of posts in the database.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

It would be smart of the system administrator to inform you with some arguments, so you might understand why he think it is required to do so.

Are you causing too much bandwidth?
        Are you over the max of your allowed database size? (which reminds me to ask the max of my isp)
        Are you causing too much server load?

Personally I think it is your account, which you paid for, and he can't tell you to prune (delete?) messages .. but only advice. If he offered you traffic/webspace/database for a price, then it is up to his system to be able and handle that.

<no flaming intended here!>

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
          • May 2000

Thanks for the replies, all.. Well, I have many different forums on 80sxchange.com but there is one that has over 31,000 messages in particular. You know how the "general" forum can build up..

I get a lot of database errors and this was one suggestion he gave me. The database is over 100megs and they seem to think that's a lot.. Is it?

Maybe I should be using another host.. I'm using hosting4less.com - and they seem pretty good. Everything runs nicely according to speed. Just I seem to get a lot of server timeouts and things like that. When I look at the error, it usually says the query would take too long or something..

Anyways. It sounds to me that he's thinking about another forum software where you would need to prune..

Thank you again for the replies...
          My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
            Thanks for the replies, all.. Well, I have many different forums on 80sxchange.com but there is one that has over 31,000 messages in particular. You know how the "general" forum can build up..

I get a lot of database errors and this was one suggestion he gave me. The database is over 100megs and they seem to think that's a lot.. Is it?

Maybe I should be using another host.. I'm using hosting4less.com - and they seem pretty good. Everything runs nicely according to speed. Just I seem to get a lot of server timeouts and things like that. When I look at the error, it usually says the query would take too long or something..

Anyways. It sounds to me that he's thinking about another forum software where you would need to prune..

Thank you again for the replies...
            what are the exact database errors ? cause none would really require pruning posts from a forum
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• fury
              • Jun 2001

I know of a forum with a database of over a gig, and it runs fine. 100 megs should not be a cause for concern on a well configured server. For your host to suggest 100 megs is a large database is somewhat correct, but it is nothing an optimized setup can't handle.

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
                • May 2000

I replied here with the errors but I don't see it here. It must have been deleted. I will try once more.

Here are the errors I most commonly get:

1. Invalid SQL:
                SELECT DISTINCT privatemessage.*, user.username AS tousername, user.emailonpm, user.invisible,
                user.lastactivity, icon.iconpath, session.userid AS sessionuserid
                FROM privatemessage
                LEFT JOIN user ON (user.userid = privatemessage.touserid)
                LEFT JOIN icon ON (icon.iconid = privatemessage.iconid)
                LEFT JOIN session ON (session.userid = user.userid
                AND session.userid <> 0 AND user.invisible = 0 AND session.lastactivity>0)
                WHERE fromuserid=2048
                AND folderid <> -1
                AND receipt > 0

ORDER BY dateline DESC
                mysql error: The SELECT would examine too many records and probably take a very long time. Check your WHERE and use SET OPTION SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1 if the SELECT is ok

mysql error number: 1104

Date: Thursday 31st of January 2002 04:31:26 AM
                Script: http://www.80sxchange.com/forums/for...php?daysprune=
                Referer: http://80sxchange.com/forums/private.php?

and

2. Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
                mysql error:

mysql error number:

Date: Wednesday 30th of January 2002 02:26:58 PM
                Script: /forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7688
                Referer: http://www.80sxchange.com/forums/sea...&searchid=6793

I get #2 every day...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
                My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

• George L
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • May 2000
                  • 3.8.x

you hit new thread instead of reply http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=38666
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Sal Collaziano
                    • May 2000

What a dummy! I found it. Thank you. Silly mistake for someone who's been using message boards since the 80's. Duh..

Thank you.
                    My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment