• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnowBlizZ
    • Jan 2002

I am always having to login.....???

URL: http://forum.gamefactor.net/
    Thats all i know currently!

Well a couple of my users told me they couldn't post, they would login type there message, hit submit and then it would tell them they would have to login again, and after that it still doesn't post their message. When i got word of this I tried to figure out what was wrong. I created a test user and well i found the option "Browse board with cookies?" set to 'YES' they would have trouble. Any question in why this is happending. Is there a setting that needs to be set in order for it being yes to not do that.
    Last edited by SnowBlizZ; Tue 22 Jan '02, 10:23pm.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Re: I am always having to login.....???

Originally posted by SnowBlizZ
    URL: http://forum.gamefactor.net/
    Thats all i know currently!

Well a couple of my users told me they couldn't post, they would login type there message, hit submit and then it would tell them they would have to login again, and after that it still doesn't post their message. When i got word of this I tried to figure out what was wrong. I created a test user and well i found the option "Browse board with cookies?" set to 'YES' they would have trouble. Any question in why this is happending. Is there a setting that needs to be set in order for it being yes to not do that.

I have the same problem,
    users say they are using IE on windows
    and they dont run firewall, nor block cookies.

I myself can't reproduce the error, and never have this problem personally, but i already got about 5 complains like this.

Sometimes it just magicly disappear, sometimes it just doesnt :/

Comment

• SnowBlizZ
      • Jan 2002

Goto your User CP >> Under Edit Options >> "Browse board with cookies?" set to 'Yes' to Recreate my problem, if u can't get the i think i have some setting wrong on mine. Uh if u goto my forum and register and try posting you can see!

Comment

• SnowBlizZ
        • Jan 2002

Could it be that i have to chmod anything? I didn't set my forum up??

Comment

• SnowBlizZ
          • Jan 2002

I am running vBulletin 2.2.1 if that helps anyone help me?

Comment

• Username
            • May 2000

This is a recurring problem.

Search the forums, this has come up a number of times and no one seems to have a solution.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Snowbiz,

Just out of curiousity, what do you have set for 'Cookie Domain' in your Admin CP?
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

I have set:

Timeout for Cookies: 750
                Cookie Domain: (nothing entered)
                Path to save cookies: /

And that works fine I think.

I noticed that imported users have set 'browse site with cookie' set to 'no' .. putting this to 'yes' fixed most of the users complaints.

Is there a command to update all the members to yes, instead of no? (through phpmyadmin)

Comment

• Kier
                  Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
                  • Sep 2000

Code:
                  UPDATE user SET cookieuser=1, nosessionhash=1

Comment

• Kier
                    • Sep 2000

Run that query like this if you're not sure what I'm gibbering on about

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Thank you Kier

Thank you kier,
                      I have done that and I hope this helps those users a lot.

I now hope someone can reply to the cookie domain option.

If my board runs on www.marietje.nl/vbb/
                      the cookie domain input field is empty in the ACP,
                      should this then be set to marietje.nl ? .. or is 'empty' good enough?

I myself have no probs with browsing my site, but some do and some dont. ..

First I will see if setting everybody to browse with cookie helped..

I do think this is a serious issue,
                      I am trying to build up a community,
                      but I get emails of users walking away, saying that it is unacceptable that they are asked to login after pressing a button.. I notice that I have a lot of users registerd, but they are inactive after one day. I know a percentage of them just reggged and dont have the time or motivation to post or reply. But after asking around, several informed me that after getting the l/p screen every 5 minutes when trying to post, it just got too annoying. So you can see that I think this is serious for me. Maybe I made a mistake in configuration or setting, but who can blame me I am new to this board. Anyway. That is why I hope to get this one fixed.
                      Last edited by Floris; Fri 25 Jan '02, 1:24am.

Comment

• Franky
                        • Jun 2001

Re: Thank you Kier

Originally posted by xiphoid
                        but I get emails of users walking away, saying that it is unacceptable that they are asked to login after pressing a button..
                        Here here, please sort this out... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=39150

Comment

• Kier
                          • Sep 2000

Re: Thank you Kier

Originally posted by xiphoid
                          Thank you kier,
                          I have done that and I hope this helps those users a lot.

I now hope someone can reply to the cookie domain option.

If my board runs on www.marietje.nl/vbb/
                          the cookie domain input field is empty in the ACP,
                          should this then be set to marietje.nl ? .. or is 'empty' good enough?

I myself have no probs with browsing my site, but some do and some dont. ..

First I will see if setting everybody to browse with cookie helped..

but I get emails of users walking away, saying that it is unacceptable that they are asked to login after pressing a button.. I notice that I have a lot of users registerd, but they are inactive after one day. I know a percentage of them just reggged and dont have the time or motivation to post or reply. But after asking around, several informed me that after getting the l/p screen every 5 minutes when trying to post, it just got too annoying. So you can see that I think this is serious for me. Maybe I made a mistake in configuration or setting, but who can blame me I am new to this board. Anyway. That is why I hope to get this one fixed.
                          Assuming that you don't run another vBulletin installation at foo.marietje.nl/forum or bar.marietje.nl/something then leaving the cookie domain blank is absolutely the right thing to do.

One thing I usually ask people when their members are being logged out often - what is your 'Timeout for Cookie' set to?

Comment

• Kier
                            • Sep 2000

Oops... I see you have it set for 750 seconds.

Do your members realise that if they sit reading a thread for 12.5 minutes without clicking a link, they will be logged out?

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

ah!

Maybe in the first "thrilling" run through options, I might entered that .. without realizing .. please advice me the 'correct' or 'adviced' setting! And thank you SO much for replying.

Another thing we realized:

Users with IE6 see they block www.creations.nl and let the browser accept cookie from that site, but since the actual forum is on www.marietje.nl/vbb they overlook that one, and still get the error. (this solved a few of the users with the cookie problem)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...