X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fusion
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.8.x

Email-ntification duplicates in 2.2.2

Not sure anyone in the hotseat has noticed yet, but the 2.2.2 release seems to send email-notifications about replies to threads in triplicate. .1 was limited to a single notice.
    Toddler from Hell
  • sleepbirdcyp
    • Nov 2001

Is 2.2.2 released £¿£¿

Comment

• Fusion
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.8.x

Ehm, no, sorry to mis-lead you, it's what's in use here.
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
        Banned
        • Oct 2001
        • 3.0.0 Gamma

Oh, you mean the support forums are sending you three e-mails for replies?

Hmmm, that is interesting!

Comment

• Fusion
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.8.x

Yes, isn't it. I got fed up of those notices long ago, so there's only a few old subscribed threads that sends them. It's a drag that you can't turn them off without unsubscribing, so I've sort of just left them. When I got those 3 yesterday, I was rather baffled, so I thought I'd just drop in and raise the issue.
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• mvigod
            • Nov 2001

Definite problem here maybe...a few of my members just complained how they are getting multiple emails with every new post for threads they subscribe to.

I think they get one if they "subscribe" and another if they click the "receive email" checkbox if they post in the thread and maybe another if in the control panel they set to receive email by default. That would be 3 for every post!

One guy just got 9 emails with just 3 new posts in a thread he was in.

I think each subroutine runs independently and does not cross check to see if an email is being sent out from another one perhaps? I told them to either subscribe or click the email notification checkbox but not both to see what happens...
            Marc
            -------

Comment

• Fusion
              • Aug 2001
              • 3.8.x

Mmm, no, that's not the case, at least not with my feature. I went back and checked, and was amazed to see that I was only subscribed to the thread, I've yet to post a reply in the thread.
              The thread in question can be found here. It's a long-shot, but maybe vbulletin.com is keeping some sort of email-stats and can back-track?

The pertinent data reads:
              From [email protected] Mon Jan 14 00:11:57 2002+0100
              Subject: Reply to post 'Sug, community update.'
              Toddler from Hell

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

mvigod: Subscriptions only count once. If you subscribe to a thread, then reply and check 'email notification' you are still only subscribed once.

Fusion: If a user repeatedly clicks submit you will get multiple notices. If you only experienced it with one thread I would say that is the cause.

Comment

• Fusion
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Umm, I'll buy that with a follow-up: The email says there may be more replies but no additional notices will be sent. Since what you're saying is the case, shouldn't the noticesent check be lively enough to trap this, even with the additional overhead? I imagine it's a matter of checking some flag or something?
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• mvigod
                    • Nov 2001

I just posted in another thread as well but another user today received 6 emails and in the thread the poster only posted 2 times. Each email said it was from a reply from that user. I checked the times each email it sent and the first and last one were accurate to the post times but the 4 in between matched nothing.

Any ideas on why all these extra emails are being spawned?
                    Marc
                    -------

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2001
                      • 3.0.0 Gamma

I am going to test this feature on this forum, and see how many e-mails I get when someone replies.

Comment

• mvigod
                        • Nov 2001

It works ok for me in the vbulletin forums and for me in my forums but for some reason several users get mail bombed. One user yesterday got 9 emails from the same reply. Should have only received one. So far it's only the moderators who have at least voiced this problem and no users (not sure if it's happening to them and they just are not vocal about it or if it's just the mods)

thanks.
                        Marc
                        -------

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2001
                          • 3.0.0 Gamma

It only sent one. I have also turned on auto e-mail notification, and will test it again.

Comment

• tubedogg
                            • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Fusion
                            Umm, I'll buy that with a follow-up: The email says there may be more replies but no additional notices will be sent. Since what you're saying is the case, shouldn't the noticesent check be lively enough to trap this, even with the additional overhead? I imagine it's a matter of checking some flag or something?
                            Emails are sent based on the time that the user last visited, and whether or not that is the first reply since that time.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • May 2000
                              • 1.1.x

Which means if the user is browsing the forum while the replies are being made, than the emails will keep coming.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...