Can someone please help this unknowing person? (i.e. Me.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HC_Headmaster
    • Sep 2007

Can someone please help this unknowing person? (i.e. Me.)

Hello all. I am posting this in hopes that someone can possibly help me with the dilemma that has been plopped into my lap. I have been a very devoted member of a vB message board for 6 years now. It has gone through several "owners" and now, through some curse of the devil, has been handed off to me.

I don't mind maintaining what is already there, but the server the vB is currently on is a bloodsucking leech. I have since found a new server, purchased a package and got two new domain names with it. My only problem is that I'd like to move from our current location to the new location.

The way I understand it is that the current database should be backed up off the current server, then restored onto the new server. Great, sounds easy enough. However, I honestly have no clue WTF I am doing. I've been fine following tutorials on how to install hacks, I can even run the vB itself with no problems, but as far as working off the server.... I feel like a complete moron, basically due to lack of experience.

My vB is owned and is currently running 2.2.9. Yes techies, I know it's a dinosaur and it's several versions past that now. But for what our site needs are, it works just fine.

I suppose mentioning the server specs that I know might help. Our current server is through Nexcess.net (while very reliable, the are god awfully expensive). I can access it from MySql/phpMyAdmin 2.11.9.4. The server version is 4.1.22.

The new server is through 1&1. As far as I can tell, I can administer the server via their control panel, which uses a MySql database, or through an FTP.

With all that said, could someone help me get our info safely moved to the new server? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Terry
    Last edited by HC_Headmaster; Fri 7 Jan '11, 5:00pm.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

To be able to download attachments and post in the support forums you need to register at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/register.php and then register your email address for Priority Forum Support. To do this latter step, please go here:

...and enter your email address (the one you used to register on the forums) in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access that page.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...