X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nutcase
    • May 2000

Migrating Data between vB's

Hey there...

I am currently in the process of recreating my vB on a new server. It has all new templates, etc.. The new board is currently closed, while the old one is still in use.

I am getting ready to create all the new forums on the new vB, and there are going to be a LOT more than on the old forums.

When i get the new forums ready, I would like to do the following:

-Migrate all user accounts to the new forums, including pm's, etc.

-Migrate all existing posts on the old forums to the new forum on the new board. These forums will /not/ have the same id's. Ideally, i would like to scan the actual posts for links and change the forumid's in there if they are self referential. But that isnt as important as just moving the posts.

Clearly I will make sure both vB's are running 2.2 before the move, so the conversion of data to a newer format isnt an issue.

Basically, the old forums will be a subset of the new ones, and i am not sure how to go about the migration. I imagine it will require coding a custom php script up, but I am not entirely familiar with what tables will have to move, etc.

Any tips?
  • Kaizen
    • Aug 2001

tubedog would be able to program something that would do this
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

• Nutcase
      • May 2000

do you think he would do it? How do I get in touch with him? Is this the kind of thing that would be useful to others, or would it be custom built? I ask because i really have no money, and am hoping if it would be useful to others he may make it as a util. I imagine if it has to be custom built, it could cost a decent amount.

Comment

• Kaizen
        • Aug 2001

Originally posted by Nutcase
        do you think he would do it? How do I get in touch with him? Is this the kind of thing that would be useful to others, or would it be custom built? I ask because i really have no money, and am hoping if it would be useful to others he may make it as a util. I imagine if it has to be custom built, it could cost a decent amount.
        I dont't know whether he would charge you.

You can PM him with this link :http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/priva...ge&userid=2751

I don't think anyone would use this ?

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

I love how I get dragged into these conversations.

Yeah PM me with specifics and I'll see what I can do.

Comment

• Kaizen
            • Aug 2001

heheheheh

Just remember who referred them when i need support

Comment

• Nutcase
              • May 2000

I was thinking.. would the way to do this be an importer? There is already a vB lite importer.. why not just have a full on vB importer? It would simply copy things.. but it could be good.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? If so, would anyone want to write one? Maybe the fellow that wrote the other importers?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...