• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Creepshow
    • May 2005
    • 3.5.x

How risky is using vB 2?

Any major dangers?
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!
  • Driv3r
    • Dec 2002

Alot of big sites still use it. so can't see it.

If there was Major dangers of you using it. they would't let you download it.

Comment

• Creepshow
      • May 2005
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Driv3r
      Alot of big sites still use it. so can't see it.

If there was Major dangers of you using it. they would't let you download it.
      Really? Which big sites? I would have thought hardly anyone uses it anymore.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• j883376
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Creepshow
        Really? Which big sites? I would have thought hardly anyone uses it anymore.
        This is somewhat of an old thread, but I figure it's on the first page, so it's worth answering.

A major example of a vB 2.x site would be http://forums.somethingawful.com Keep in mind, they've heavily modified it, but it runs off of vB 2.2.9.

Comment

• Kitebu
          • Sep 2005

http://forums.winamp.com/ uses it as well.

Comment

• slappy
            • Apr 2003

There are a number of well known security vulnerabilities in the older versions of vBulletin. That's one of the major reasons behind many of the updates. Running version 2 creates some substantial risks of someone gaining access to your data and server.

Regards,
            Slappy

Comment

• NegativeSmoke
              • Apr 2008

I would advise against using anything pre 3.7.x due to major security issues, those big sites that run vB 2.x still have heavily modified it and unofficially patched the security vulnerabilities in the code, they however, weren't released (obviously) because they were unofficially done by coders of those sites. using vB2 is a MAJOR security risk, it is always wise to use the latest stable release of vBulletin.

Comment

• Sworm1
                • Feb 2008

Wow i'never seen a 2.2.9 vb forum , this is the first time , so have a great look

Comment

• Mr. Mikey
                  • Feb 2009

See all the changes they have made. I'd stick to the vB3.x generation.

It's there for a reason
                  My Forums: The Geek District - Off Topic Hut
                  My Blog: Mikeylicious
                  Projects: Shorten URL's with kwn.me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...