Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to display full URLs in message (not truncated)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to display full URLs in message (not truncated)?

you know, get rid of the:

http://nameofsite.com/directory/name.........html

I've tried [ code ] tag, [ php ] tag, neither work.

Note, I only want to do this selectively, NOT set it as a pref for my whole site. Thanks!

This can't be done without hacking I'm afraid.

Comment

If you don't mind them not being linked, just turn off the "Automatically parse URLs" option when posting, and don't put [url] tags around em.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
        If you don't mind them not being linked, just turn off the "Automatically parse URLs" option when posting, and don't put [url] tags around em.
        Excellent. That's the kind of situation I mean. For example, if I list a bunch of web resources, as lists of URLs, in a few cases I want to give someone the capability to copy and paste the posted list (in my message posting) inot an email, for example, so then they could click through each link and not have it open a separate window for each URL.

Example:

www.nameofsite.com/reference_link#1
        www.nameofsite.com/reference_link#2
        www.nameofsite.com/reference_link#3
        www.nameofsite.com/reference_link#4
        www.nameofsite.com/reference_link#5
        www.nameofsite.com/reference_link#6
        www.nameofsite.com/reference_link#7

Alternately, Kevin, do you know of a way to (again, a la carte, not as a global preference), have all links that appear in a message (like above) open in one browser window, vs spawning new browser window for each link clicked?

Thank you.

Comment

Not without some in-depth hacking, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
            Not without some in-depth hacking, methinks.
            Okay.. thanks. But one last thing. Re: "Automatically parse URLs", I removed that checkoff display (but kept the value YES) from my compose screens because I wanted less clutter.

(Example: http://www.theflow.com/forums/newrep...y&threadid=493 )

So if I want to occasionally do what I have mentioned above, presenting a list of non-linking URLs that people could cut & paste, if I don't have that checkoff option visible in my UI, is there any alt-way to tell vB "don't parse URLs in this message"?

Thank you.

Comment

Back to your first request, I think that if you create a new tag, let's say [longurl]http://www...[/longurl], and make that function like the [url] tag, it will not truncate the URL.

If you need exact instructions on how to do that, I'll be happy to post it here.
              Chen Avinadav
              Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Yes, that would be great. Post it in its entirety, please. (You ought to presume by now, I don't have a clue about how to code anything)

So you're saying define a new tag for when I want a URL to not-truncate -- or for when I want a URL to not auto-link?

Show me how to do both, please. But if you are the superfly I know you to be, perhaps you even know how to create some tag that translates as: "all URLs between these tags should target the same browser window" -- vs. opening in separate windows. That's really my more favored objective... So, for example, I could create a slideshow with URLs (in one posting), and upon clicking through the list of URL's, the images swap in same new browser window -- not opening a new window for ecah URL...

Can you have this done in 5 minutes? (I'll be back after I take a whiz... )

Comment

Alright:
                  Custom BB codes => Add
                  vB Code tag - "longurl"
                  vB Code replacement - "<a href="{param}" target="_blank">{param}</a>"
                  Use {option} ? NO.

You know how to explain stuff better than me, not to mention me bad English , so fill vB Code example and vB Code explanation yourself.

And it works!

As for the "open all in same window", I don't even know how to do that.
                  Maybe some HTML expert could come and tell us, but I have no idea how to accomplish that (even in regular pages!).
                  Chen Avinadav
                  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Flyguy: which function does that code tag handle?

(1) a URL to not-truncate -- or
                    (2) URL to not auto-link?

Also, I have no idea what to fill in what. Am I supposed to insert something where you have {param} and {option} ??

Signed,
                    Clueless in San Francisco

Comment

Dear Clueless in San Francisco,

Using [longurl] will not truncate the URLs.

Lemme rephrase my last post:
                      In the Admin CP, click Add below Custom BB codes.
                      Then, for "vB Code tag" fill in "longurl"
                      For "vB Code replacement" fill in "<a href="{param}" target="_blank">{param}</a>"
                      And set "Use {option} ?" to NO.
                      (that's exactly how it appears on that screen)
                      Chen Avinadav

Comment

See?
                        Chen Avinadav

Comment

But why can't I call it "unabridgedURL" vs. longurl??

heh heh heh... thanks

Comment

You can call it whatever you like

Comment

Originally posted by theflow
                              But why can't I call it "unabridgedURL" vs. longurl??

heh heh heh... thanks
                              *sigh*
                              Chen Avinadav

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X