Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rebby
    • Mar 2001

Originally posted by DrunkenStud

hehe its true .. but once you get up into the 50-100 range of simultaneous users there is only so much swap space can do!
    i agree, which is why i am upgrading to an smp solution w/2gb of ecc ram

i acutally perfer overkill.. problem is, i colo this box @ an office that i used to work in and i don't have much access to it to keep upgrading

Comment

• EmperorPing
      • Sep 2001

Kewl

Today I ordered a 1U server with PIII 750 and 256Mb ram... Hopefully this will be enough for a while...

Any tips as to the best flavour operating system without spending any more money (server cost £1,000 [uk] which required an overdraft - the project will be on a 100% non-profit basis).

I have a spare licence for Win2k pro (from a dead laptop) but don't know if this is the best option... It is best in so far as I know how to set it up for everything I need, but is it too system greedy?

I've never used unix/linux in any variety other than when I ftp to a unix box, so I'm a little reluctant to start setting up a server using this, but if it's the best option then I will go with it.

If linux is the best option, which version (free) would you all recommend? Basically I'll be running a web server with vBulletin (plus of course PHP and MySql) and some HTML pages... maybe a little perl/cgi scripting (which I won't be doing myself, though I may adapt some of the stuff in the public domain). I may also like to put a little shockwave/flash content on there but this is not essential.

Thanks for your help peeps

Comment

• DrunkenStud
        • May 2001

Hmm .. well from what you are saying you have and what you wanna do, it sounds like Linux is the best idea, its Free

Hmmm .. I would reccomend Mandrake probably, its good with beginners and is an all round better distro than Red Hat which is another "beginner" like distro. At least in my opinion.

I have been working on switching my 2k Server to *nix/BSD so I have played around with loads of stuff. Im personally probably gonna end up using FreeBSD.

Good choice on the server BTW.

Comment

• Embattle
          • Sep 2001

What about bandwidth?

Comment

• rebby
            • Mar 2001

don't go w/mandrake if you care about security! try redhat or suse instead.

Comment

• EmperorPing
              • Sep 2001

Security is important.

Don't they charge for RedHat?

Is Suse free?

Bandwidth is 2mb burstable to 100mb

Comment

• rebby
                • Mar 2001

redhat and suse are both "free" however, i do suggest that you buy a copy just for the sake of getting the books... the books can be very importaint to a newbie... check your local best buy.

Comment

• EmperorPing
                  • Sep 2001

Cool... I've gone with win2k for the moment for ease of use and to get everything live asap but I'll be getting hold of redhat or suse when I've got the spare cash to buy it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...