How can you ban users, if IP addresses are dynamic?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobbi
    • Jul 2001

How can you ban users, if IP addresses are dynamic?

I don't anticipate ever having to ban any user from my forums, though they do get a bit rowdy (and a bit profane...) sometimes because these are band fan forums.

Anyway, though, for future reference: how can you ban users based on IP address, if IP addresses are almost always dynamic(ally generated) for each user? Or is every dynamic IP address recorded in the system, anyway, and just a standard set of IP addresses are used even when the IP is dynamic? Because I noticed that while I access my forums from 3 computers, I have about 15 IP addresses for me listed in the admin control panel.

Also, some of the moderators of my forums are about 15 years old. I've gotten the impression that one or two of them may be up to some mischief regarding access to various people's IP addresses, so I turned off that option for now. What is it they could/would do with those IP addresses, conceivably - if they were inclined to do anything with them at all? (They can't ban anyone because I haven't granted them that mod access privilege yet.)
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

Moderators can only ban by username, they have no access to the system for banning by email address/domain, or IP banning.

You often find that users with dynamic IP addresses will usually have a range of IPs assigned to them, as assigned by their ISP. Therefore, you can ban an IP range by using an IP ban on xxx.yyy.zzz. (leaving the final part of the IP range blank).

However, this can often ban ALL users who connect via a particular ISP, so it's a bit of a last resort.

Comment

• FoodTVFans
      • Apr 2009
      • 3.8.x

Where do you ban the ip range?

I understand the concept of xxx,yyy,zzz in the ip address, where zzz would be I suppose *.

I am having to ban a gang of pharma spammers from Lithuania and they have a way of changing the last three digits of their IP address almost daily. I just don't see an option in vBulletin that allows banning by an IP..

Thanks
      FoodTVFan

Comment

• Nick
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by FoodTVFans
        Where do you ban the ip range?

I understand the concept of xxx,yyy,zzz in the ip address, where zzz would be I suppose *.

I am having to ban a gang of pharma spammers from Lithuania and they have a way of changing the last three digits of their IP address almost daily. I just don't see an option in vBulletin that allows banning by an IP..

Thanks
        FoodTVFan
        Why are you reviving an 8-year-old thread?

To ban IP addresses: AdminCP -> vBulletin Options -> User Banning Options -> Banned IP Addresses

If you enter a complete IP address (242.21.11.7), only that IP will be banned.
        If you enter a partial IP (243.21.11. or 243.21.11), any IPs that begin with the partial IP will be banned. For example, banning 243.21.11 will prevent 243.21.11.7 from accessing your board. However, 243.21.115.7 would still be able to access your board.

You may also use an '*' as a wildcard for increased flexibility. For example, if you enter 243.21.11*, many IPs will be banned including: 243.21.11.7, 243.21.115.7, 243.21.119.225.

Place a space or a line break between each IP address.
        Regards,
        Nick

Comment

• FoodTVFans
          • Apr 2009
          • 3.8.x

Because there wasn't a clear answer?

Found that section, worked great, thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...