Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maestrosdelweb
    • Sep 2002
    • 3.7.x

Wich are the new options to ban a user in vbulletin 3?
    --
    Christian Van Der Henst S.
    http://www.forosdelweb.com

Comment

• Michelle69
      • Sep 2001
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by maestrosdelweb
      Wich are the new options to ban a user in vbulletin 3?
      Pretty much the same really. Ban by IP or email, and they've added a "Tachy Goes to Coventry" option ("This option allows you to effectively add a user or users to every member's 'Ignore List'. However, users in this list can still see their own posts and threads... ")

I've banned people right from .htaccess (unless they're on AOL then you're SOL). Alternatively, you might want to search vb.org for something called "Miserable Users" lol

Comment

• Nemesis2000
        • May 2002

I didnt have time to implement it before I took my old forum down, but my friend in my sig and I coded a nice member application system. Its not infallable since trolls could still accidentally be let in, but hey, at least they cant reregister right away with the system me and my friend built. We built this in as another option in addition to closing the registration, and the open registration method vbulletin uses.

It deals with members applying for membership, and you can either accept or deny them. Its pretty easy to spot whos good and who isnt. If you get things right with your members, no troll will ever enter, and if they do, its an easy oust.

Regularly prune your members list. Accounts with 0 posts after like a month need to be wiped. Good precaution.
        Last edited by Nemesis2000; Fri 19 Sep '03, 3:51pm.
        Proud to have designed, developed, and implemented my own Anti Troll software into my vbulletin installation with the help of my great friend Bialar Crais. We specialize in the confusion and banishment of all that which tries to stop our community from thriving. Thanks to the trolls for driving our community closer together in the fight against a common enemy.

Comment

• maestrosdelweb
          • Sep 2002
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Michelle69
          Pretty much the same really. Ban by IP or email, and they've added a "Tachy Goes to Coventry" option ("This option allows you to effectively add a user or users to every member's 'Ignore List'. However, users in this list can still see their own posts and threads... ")

I've banned people right from .htaccess (unless they're on AOL then you're SOL). Alternatively, you might want to search vb.org for something called "Miserable Users" lol
          The miserable users was a great tool. Thanks for the tip.
          --
          Christian Van Der Henst S.
          http://www.forosdelweb.com

Comment

• Zzed
            • Feb 2002

I have come up with several ways of banning people from my fourms. I have also creatd other varieties of the miserable hack.

I have come up with a trapping mechanism to recognize banned members based on some of their personal info on the board. Although there is no 100% fool proof method of banning a user. I have been mostly successful with keeping the unwanted members out of my forums.

I have discovered that by making a user's stay on your board "less than pleasant", will entice tha user to leave on his own.

Comment

• djnoz
              • May 2003

The "Miserable User" hack is by far the best way of "banning" annoying members. It's a shame we can't install it on our board... we're running vb3
              Matt
              Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
              Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

• Zzed
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by djnoz
                The "Miserable User" hack is by far the best way of "banning" annoying members. It's a shame we can't install it on our board... we're running vb3
                I'll port it to VB3 in the near future.

Comment

• Kasushi
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Like michelle said, the miserable users hack is a fun one to have. You can also stop them being able to log out and then ban them but i'm not sure on how that works.

Comment

• Aaron Freed
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 3.7.x

I've honestly found that putting registrations on moderation is a pretty effective banning tool, really. The only problem is that it makes it more difficult for people to register, but meh.
                    Fool's Gold: Discussion of rock 'n' roll, movies, A Song of Ice and Fire, Discworld, The Wheel of Time, The Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, literature, games, and more. It's ace.

Last.FM * LiveJournal

Comment

• Rob Weaver
                      • Jan 2002

I've looked at the 'miserable users' hack and reckon whatever solution we arrive at, I'd like to install that, too. I fell about laughing for 15 minutes after reading the author's description of what it does. Dia-bloody-bolical!

Comment

• achtungbaby
                        • Aug 2003

How effective is banning members/visitors who visit through a proxy?

Comment

• Z28.com
                          • Dec 2002

I use to have this guy who was real persistant on reregistering. I tried banning his IP, email, free email host everthing. This went on for several months. He would bash other members about anything.

I finally started playing his game. I erased every post he mad as soon as I found them. Then I started to alter his profile, avatar, signature. I turned the tables on him. He would login invisible to hide from everyone, I would make him visible. I guess he got tired of the torture from us and left cause he hasnt been back in about 6 months

Comment

• Cassius
                            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Babylon
                            The way that worked best for me was to grab the usergroup ids of 'banned' usergroups and stop them from being able to logout. Before i did this my banned users would just logout and create a new account when they were banned.

It's worked pretty well. For a while we also approved new registrations which solved a lot of problems too

Obviously the users need to be using cookies but they all were and luckily didn't know how to clear them by hand
                            uhm... where is this option? I canĀ“t find it anywhere! (vb 3.0.1)

thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...