X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

How do I effectively ban a user?

How do I effectively ban a user?

The best way is to ban both his IP address and his email address in the Options area of the control panel.
    If the member uses a dynamic IP address (ie it changes every time he logs on) then you will have to either ban each IP he uses, or ban the whole subnet (eg 1.2.3.*).
  • Fred
    • Jun 2000
    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

You can NEVER fully ban someone. If you ban his ISP, then you ban other members too.

Comment

• Jux
      • Feb 2002

I had the same problem - apparently, when I banned the email, they were still able to post, so I checked on that as well as took away all of their forum rights under their permissions. He had an IP that changed, but I think we were able to resolve the banning issue.

Comment

• Cassius
        • Feb 2002

you can't really limit some person's entrance to your forum unless you close the registration... if there is a way for someone to register, the average persistant cyber vandal will try to use it...

Comment

• Sven
          • Dec 2000

Another, quite effective, way to get rid of someone:
          Set him to Usergroup "COPPA User awaiting email confirmation"

He won't be able to post and will have a little trouble to register with a new nickname

This is, of course, not a ban and won't prevent someone who really wants to disturb your forums - but it's working good for us.

Comment

• Rob Weaver
            • Jan 2002

We have a persistent user who kept changing his hotmail address each time I banned him. Finally, I banned his IP address and that kept him out for a few weeks. Now he's back and claims to have an "IP blocking" program which allegedly prevents the vBulletin software from "seeing" the real IP he's coming from and thus letting him in.

I thought of setting his permissions to prevent him writing to each forum but that won't help if he can get in again under a new name/address etc.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

You're only real option is to ban the free email accounts, i.e., hotmail.com, yahoo.com, etc. After a while he'll get tired and will go away.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rob Weaver
                • Jan 2002

Yes, my original intention to was ban free accounts - until I discovered that nearly 80 per cent of our club's supporters use hotmail.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

You could always use this as a temporary ban until the moron tires and goes to play in someone else's sandbox. It's either that or continue banning each new email address he uses to register with.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rob Weaver
                    • Jan 2002

Smachol - You've given me an idea. If I were to ban hotmail addresses it would not affect those already signed on, would it?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

No, it won't affect current members - just any new registrations.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Rob Weaver
                        • Jan 2002

Thanks.

Comment

• grace819
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by smachol
                          You're only real option is to ban the free email accounts, i.e., hotmail.com, yahoo.com, etc. After a while he'll get tired and will go away.
                          Sorry to sound so dumb but can you please show me how to do this? A detailed instruction would be nice.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by grace819
                            Sorry to sound so dumb but can you please show me how to do this? A detailed instruction would be nice.
                            Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Banning Options -> Email addresses to ban -> yahoo.com hotmail.com

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• grace819
                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by smachol
                              Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Banning Options -> Email addresses to ban -> yahoo.com hotmail.com
                              Thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...