X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magnusson2u
    • Dec 2002

Cookie Domain and Path settings.

Greetings,

I guess I'm having a 'standard' issue with cookie paths after a move...

-Should I just wait for the dns switch to happen, or should I be proactive and
    allow people to view the board by setting the paths by ip addresses? I could
    then switch it back once it is resolved. Should I just be patient?

-I've read how to fix the cookie path, but I don't understand it!?!? I made 2
    images to show you how I think. It's based off Steve's comment below:
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    It sounds like you have a Cookie Domain and Path setting in the db that is not compatible with the new domain and/or server.

Run this query:

SELECT * FROM template WHERE title='options'

Locate the appropriate variablea (cookiedomain and cookiepath) in this format:

$varname = 'value';

Change the settings to blank and / respectively. Then also make the same change to your setting table.
    So, I literally did a query.

I also know that this leaves out the $varname = 'value,' and changing the settings to
    blank and / respectively. It's a naive/literal train of thought, but I have to start off
    somewhere.

I will show my other image in another post below.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That quote is most likely from a very early version of vB. To fix this, upload the tools.php script in the 'do_not_upload' folder of the vB zip file to your Admin CP directory and run it from your browser. Use this to reset the cookie domain and path back to the defaults. And then leave your cookie domain and path at the default settings. There is no reason to change these. If you need to specify a unique cookie, use the cookie prefix setting in config.php instead.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• magnusson2u
      • Dec 2002

Here's my second thought process. Is it entirely wrong, or does my walking
      backward approach net me the same conclusion? Please let me know where I'm screwing up.

Second literal approach:

Comment

• magnusson2u
        • Dec 2002

There is no 'Admin CP directory' in VB 2.28. I tried uploading tools.php into the regular 'admin folder,' but received a reply to place it in the 'Admin CP directory.'

I can't login into my site since I had it closed while I was backingup. So, it keeps cycling me to the same admin login page. This is why I'm trying to setup correct paths.

Any suggestions?
        Last edited by magnusson2u; Sat 10 Feb '07, 9:16pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

The admin directory.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• magnusson2u
            • Dec 2002

I am not understanding?

I tried placing it in the admin directory for 2.2.8 (since there's no admincp
            like VB 3.5.7 has) and it doesn't work?

I inspected the 'tools.php' file and I see these variables that have nothing
            to do with my old version:

• define('VERSION', '3.5.7');

• { // need to go up a single directory, we must be in includes / admincp / modcp / install

• {
            die('Please place this file within the admincp / install folder')

How am I understanding this wrong?

Thank you
            Last edited by magnusson2u; Sun 11 Feb '07, 1:50pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

You have to use the correct tools.php for your version.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• magnusson2u
                • Dec 2002

My version didn't come with such a file.

I started with Vb 2.2, and just upgraded. There wasn't a 'tools.php' file, or 'do not upload folder'.

Maybe those files were included in the later 'full' installs, but I don't believe they were included in the upgrades?!?! I could be wrong (very possible). How can I get the aprpriate tools.php file?

THanks for your continued help, Steve.

------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side-note, I did a yahoo search to see what came up, and this thread was already part of their query links. How the heck does that happen? You guys at VB are good.

Last edited by magnusson2u; Sun 11 Feb '07, 2:13pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Fill out a support ticket at:

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...