X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdaniel
    • Jun 2001
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

A shocking email from my ISP re PHP/MySQL

Considering the large volume of hours I have put into customizing the Board for my business website,the following was a shock. Comments?

As some may be aware, one of our IIS servers crashed thisafternoon and the cause was determined to be due to an access violation produced by the PHP engine. Over 750 domains were affected by this outage.

Although this particular outage was short in nature we are extremely concerned about the culprit (PHP) and have determined it is best for all that we make a formal statement regarding the use of these two software packages.

While PHP and MYSQL may represent good quality alternatives to using SQL-7 and ASP, both PHP and MYSQL have been released in the public domain without any type of support or warranty thus leaving no recourse for users should this software malfunction in any way. For those of you who are not technical it is extemely important to understand that both these "system" programs run with privileges equal to those of the operating system and thus have "rights" to control the server just as other software in its class does. The operating system of the server affords no protection from the code executed by these programs, which can cause the unexpected crash of
    the service we experienced today or other abnormalities.

Since PHP and MYSQL are essentially "free" and some designers have requested to use these packages we will continue to make them available unless we determine they are adversly affecting the normal operation of our systems and services. While we do up-charge for use of SQL-7 (a licensed product with support) we do not charge for the use of PHP and MYSQL. With that said please be advised of the following:

(1) St. Louis Internet, Inc. (STLI) offers PHP and MYSQL on a voluntary basis and makes no comittment to offer PHP and MYSQL on an ongoing basis for any purpose.

(2) STLI may remove (either temporarily or permanently) PHP and/or MYSQL if, at its sole discretion, one or both of these software packages is causing network or system interference.

(3) Designers using these products do so at their own risk and STLI shall not be responsible for any loss of data, downtime, revenues or the like should one or both of these products malfunction, be turned off, removed or made otherwise unavailable.

(4) Unlike SQL-7 databases, which are backed up once per day and retained for 4 weeks, we attempt to back up MYSQL databases during our normal data backup procecedure, however, since MYSQL offers no management interface which includes an automatic management backup interface module we cannot guarantee that any MYSQL file will be backed up if it is open for use at the time our backup cycles run. Users should take measures to backup their own MYSQL data files.

(5) Debugging, problem solving and the like which are requested by customers will be invoiced at $120 per hour on these two products plus telephone/FAX charges (if needed to communicate with vendors) since we have no technical support, warranty or the like as we have with conventional
    products which are paid for and licensed.

(6) All developers and users of these two products use same at their sole risk.

(7) Effective this date there is a $50 setup fee per MYSQL database but no monthly charge. There
    is no charge for the use of PHP code, however, the designer is requested to ask for such extensions at the time the web site is initially setup.

While STLI supports "open-source" software such as PHP/MYSQL we want our customers to understand such software is typically not of the caliber and quality of other products which are paid for and licensed; thus we will support these products as best we can given the resources available for the benefit of our customers.

Should you have any questions regarding these two products and our support/position please do
    not hesitate to contact us at: [email protected]

Sincerely,

St. Louis Internet, Inc.

636-458-2866
    FAX: 314-215-4162
    Last edited by cdaniel; Mon 2 Jul '01, 4:34pm.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Well on an NT machine with unknowledgable admins, this could be a problem...

However switch to a Linux/Unix hosting company and you won't have this problem. Both PHP and MySQL have lots of support and supporters...

Check out:

The energetic, vibrant digital home of developers that are passionate and dedicated to sharing and learning more about PHP. PHP snippets, PHP tutorials and PHP Forums.

Founded in 1997, DEVShed is the perfect place for web developers to learn, share their work, and build upon the ideas of others.

PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that powers everything from your blog to the most popular websites in the world.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• cdaniel
      • Jun 2001

You said: Well on an NT machine with unknowledgable admins, this could be a problem... However switch to a Linux/Unix hosting company and you won't have this problem.

Couldn't there be unknowledgeable admins on a Linux/Unix as well?

Well, I will say that to ensure compatability, before purchase I had my isp talk directly with John Percival at your company and John was fully aware of the environment. At no time did John mention any cautions because of this being installed in an NT environment. If my ISP cuts this off in the future, I'm going to be one very upset person. Not only for the money I spent but because of the huge number of hours I put in and because I have an obligation to my clients to keep a Board up and running.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

There are unknowledgable Linux Admins out there. However PHP and MYSQL have been offered for years on Linux machines and the knowledge is a lot higher with this setup. Both were originally written for the Linux operating system and later ported to the Windows environment.

It sounds like your host is running PHP as an ISAPI module in a production environment which until the most recent versions was completely unrecommended by the developers. When run as an ISAPI module PHP has the same rights and priviledges as IIS because it is part of IIS. If they run it as an CGI executable it would have no more right than PERL or any other CGI program. This actually wouldn't be a problem on Windows 2000 but could pose problems on NT 4.0

Actually by reading the letter, it sounds like your ISP is simply trying to intimidate you into purchasing higher priced options like the SQL-7 database (which is out of date) and Support Options instead of providing the support they need to.

Having used many different packages including Windows NT, Linux, IIS, Apache, ASP, PHP, Visual Basic, MS SQL Server 6.5 and 7.0, MySQL and Oracle, I would have to say that the quality of the programming favors the open source applications because bugs are fixed faster and testing is more wide spread on a multitude of machine configurations. The Microsoft applications are relatively well coded and put together as well plus they have the added benefit of being designed to work together, sharing components and ensuring Microsoft's dominance in the marketplace.

MySQL is low on the feature side when compared to Enterprise level solutions like SQL Server and Oracle but compare a couple years of development with 15 years.

Ask your service provider how long your server has been running none stop?

The one we use for SitePoint has been online nonstop for over a year now while Apache, PHP and MySQL are down about 35 seconds a day for backup purposes, yes we can back up our entire infrastructure in 35 seconds.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

You simply need to move to another host that provides better support if you are able to. You can find a few threads where recommended hosts are given.

Comment

• cdaniel
            • Jun 2001

Moving to a new host is not so easy. My main site www.portraitartist.com of something like 15,000 files is with him and he's not charging me anything extra for the forum.portraitartist.com because my main site is there. It's a very big deal to move my main site...lots of domain name redirects and email forwards. And, if I just moved the forum, I'd be paying extra for it anywhere else.

Additionally, I've been with him over 3 years and have had nothing but good experiences with his reliability. Right now he says the problem described in his email was not from vBulletin. So, all seems well for the moment.

Thanks,
            Cynthia

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...